Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

"...shfolder.dll Was Not Found..."

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thepikepro

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:11 PM

I have a problem that I've tried myself to solve by checking other posts in forums, trying download another SHFOLDER.dll, looking in search engines etc, all to no avail. I have searched within the Bleepingcomputer forums as well, found similar problems but the operating systems were different or the solution did not work for me. I do have my original Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 1 reinstallation CD plus the 3 other Applications and Drivers reinstallation CDs that came with the computer but I don't know if using them will even solve the problem. I would like not to have to use the reinstall CDs because I'm sure that they will erase everything currently on the machine and start from scratch. I have home video on my hard drive that I'd like to burn to CD before that happens but my CD creator will not work and I can not reinstall it (because SHFOLDER.dll is missing) even though I have the original install / reinstall CD. I have some knowledge of comps, maybe a little more than someone who knows nothing. Hopefully someone can help. I have a Dell Dimension 4550, Pentium 4, running Windows XP Home; nothing fancy or added on or into the machine. So here's the prob -
I've lost functionality in a few things immediatly after seeing that SHFOLDER.dll is missing. I believe that I removed SHFOLDER.dll when I deleted some things that a free anti-spyware program found and said were bad (either Spy Catcher by Tenebril or Zero Spyware LE by FBM). I probably should have quarantined the items.
I get this exact message in a dialog box when trying to run Roxio CD creator, and about 2 to 3 times on each start up in separate boxes: "This application has failed to start because SHFOLDER.dll was not found. Reinstalling this application may solve this problem." Also at the same time I first saw this error message, 7/8's of my Norton Utilities quit working, the Anti-Virus, Firewall, Live Update etc; I think all that works is Go Back and that will only take me back a day or two. Plus I can no longer get updates from Microsoft for my comp. I have tried directly from the site and from my start>programs list.
After each start up in my task bar I have a red shield within an X in it from Microsoft and my Norton status indicator instead of having a green check mark in it, has a red X in it.
It seems every few days something else quits working and I miss the stuff that already has quit working. Would appreciate any help or advice anyone has. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:59 PM

Hello and welcome,

Have you tried going to start, run and typing sfc /scannow
if that doesn't work, try downloading the .dll again from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?shfolder
or try re installing the file from microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...D6-DBFA18D37E0F

hope this helps

#3 thepikepro

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:39 PM

Thank you for the response.

I have tried sfc / scannow to no avail. (running it from the start menu > run option right?)
I'll try the other suggestions within the hour.

Thanks again for the advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users