Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disaster Altering Windows Registry

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dennilson

dennilson

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:05 PM

I have recently tried to install software from disc for my Son's Bluetooth mobile phone etc. I could not get this programme to run and read on one of the forums that altering the first part of my registry accessed by regedit would assist this. WRONG. The computer immediately went to the Windows XP and would not boot back into Windows. I tried every conceivable format from the F8 menu and attempted return the system to default settings on the F2 menu. No joy. I have now reloaded a second version of windows on the same partition in order to access all of my data and get to CAD or DVD with a view to formatting the C drive. The only thing is I cant get my DVD Drive to function correctly and copy the data. I tend to think it is conflicting with the first corrupted operating system - which is now in a loop - and is attempting to continually boot up. The second operating system is just not functioning and I am seeking help to attempt to either resolve this matter and fix the corrupted registry or get all the files on cd or dvd and completely format the drive. The second drive is being continually bombarded with trojans and viruses because my protective software wont work. The moral is dont tamper with your registry unless you know what your are doing, any suggestions welcome, though I fear I will lose the data on both drives.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:25 PM

Rule #1 - don't alter the registry without a proper backup.

I just want to speak to getting the data off of the hard drive. You could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.

But of course, if you need help with this or any other procedure you can just ask for help here and we can explain it in more detail or refer to somewhere on the web where it will be explained more fully.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:06 PM

When you installed a second copy of Windows on the same partiton, do you mean you performed a repair install or a complete installation (is that possible? I don't recall the option form the XP setup program)

A repair installation sounds like it would work.

You can also try using a "live cd" to boot the computer and access the hard drive without having to load Windows. I have done this before and it is very, very handy (did I mention it was handy?) I prefer the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows. Read the instructions thoroughly. You'll need a blank CD-R or CD-RW, your Windows XP service pack 2 cd (there is a way to do it if your CD is not SP2, check the website) and a working computer with an internet connecion and a CD burner. After you copy your files to a disk, you can perform a complete reinstall of Windows. The UBCD4Win also has many tools for repairing you existing installation, you may want to explore those options after you've backed up your data.

#4 dennilson

dennilson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:26 AM

Many thanks guys though I do tend to think that whatever I did to the registry was beyond my repair, luckily enough I could get to a lot of the data, though I had to to load it onto floppy disc as the cd burner would not respond. Thanks for your help in this matter Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users