Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Human-like Androids ...

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:47 PM

Most have already seen clips of this quite incredible human android created last year ...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...obot_video.html

I'm fascinated with this application of science - no more 'science fiction only', it can be 'reality'! The clip mentions that once perfected, androids could be used as fashion models and tour guides - but if they ever became available at 'every man's price', would you want one, I wonder?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:52 PM

It's absolutely incredible how far this science has progressed in a few short years.
I just wondering what sort of personality they will have, and would be very interested
in one as soon as they make one to do the housework,and mow the lawns for me.
I am allowed to dream,MaraM. :thumbsup:

#3 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:10 PM

Laughing DSTM - yup, I thought of was household chores, too! In my case I dreamed of having 'her' iron - until I realized no matter how cheap 'she' would be to buy and operate, it would still be cheaper to send the shirts to the local laundry - grin!

In reality (and do try to not laugh to hard here :thumbsup: ), one of my first thoughts was if my computer can go a little nuts, wonder if 'she' would have the same woes?! Can you imagine! We spend countless amounts of time just keeping our computers running without hiccups - and they would sure need an easy 'fix' for these human-like creatures, should their circuits get a tad confused.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:34 PM

And before we know it, we'll be in the same scenario as

IRobot and
Terminator

I've been around some people (through my filed of study) that have come up with some frightening stuff. Artificial Intelligence WILL get to the point of man vs machine. I know. It's just a matter of time.

If you have an artificial life form living and interacting with you, in a hand-to-hand combat, there is absolutely nothing you'll be able to do to defend yourself if they decide to go south on you. They are waaaayyyy too powerful for a human.

But having one would mean that you'd need to be a computer scientist, an electronics engineer, and a smart mother to know what you're doing... because they would need to be re-programmed from the 1st day, because you have no idea of the years worth of information they put in them and what they are really capable of doing, not only to you, but your loved ones.

Back in the late '80's - early '90's, I've worked with artificial intelligence. You can teach whatever to become self aware, and it keeps learning, as long as you have the space for it to expand/grow. If you have something that can out-power you, you'd better be darn good at programming it.

Once they perfect it as humanly as possible, there are going to be many real humans going to prison for things in which they've never done, people faking their deaths, fake kidnappings, and the horror list goes on and on.

I can smell it in the air.

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:16 PM

"
If you have an artificial life form living and interacting with you, in a hand-to-hand combat, there is absolutely nothing you'll be able to do to defend yourself if they decide to go south on you. They are waaaayyyy too powerful for a human."

Bah the humans are way smarter than any bot will ever be.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:44 PM

"
If you have an artificial life form living and interacting with you, in a hand-to-hand combat, there is absolutely nothing you'll be able to do to defend yourself if they decide to go south on you. They are waaaayyyy too powerful for a human."

Bah the humans are way smarter than any bot will ever be.

I believe ther is a difference between being smarter and being stronger. I get your point, but it won't help an elderly, or an infant, or even a handicapped person or... just a human being that can't out-power a machine.

Just think about this:.... You just got a raise or something really good happened to you, and then you came rushing home, and out of pure humanistic instincts, you went to hug the droid, or let alone tried to give it a high-5, and suddenly that thing grabbed you so fast and instantly put your lights out. And what about little children that don't know any better, but want to play?..... and the ultimate....... what about your pets wanting to play and be chased?.... you may come home and find the whole household of family members slaughtered.

And as MaraM stated, most people can't even remove a virus from their computers, fix their computers, troubleshoot their computers........... and you're talking about putting something that far advanced into their care?

You are right cowsgonemadd3... man is smarter than machine.... That's why I'm smart enough to not even indulge into the though of having an android living in my home, nor living around my family members.

Viruses will then be transmitted though airwaves/frequencies, affecting thousands, and even millions of them at a time.... and the war will be on with man vs machine.

Do you think for one moment that there aren't groups of people out there wanting to perfect them to kill humans? Well, take a look at the military.... Any one of the branches. Just think about it... no more real humans going into battle, just the droids.... except the humans that may need to repair them.

We'll all be screwed if viruses hit them, and they attack us in our sleep.

Although we're smarter than machines, machines were programmed by man himself, and you will at least for the most part..... have a battle on your hands.

Edited by Walkman, 18 January 2007 - 06:18 PM.

#7 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:06 PM

When I read, "humans are way smarter than any bot will ever be", I laughed. Not at you, CGM, but at myself because while the human that programmed it may be smarter or as smart as it is, chances are I wouldn't be.

So lets say a genius programs a 'humanoid' to be as smart as he or she is and this Android is then sold to the average person - it's already has the head start of being smarter than it's owner. Then add Walkman's "Artificial intelligence: You can teach it to become self aware, and it keeps learning, as long as you have the space for it to expand/grow" - eep!

Wonder if it's possible to program an Android that has no aggression whatsoever? Likely not, as we surely have that lovely trait nearly non-existent in we humans. Now that would be bliss - something to do all the scut work around my place but with no chance of it hitting me with the hot iron when annoyed.

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:41 PM

MaraM wrote:

Wonder if it's possible to program an Android that has no aggression whatsoever? Likely not, as we surely have that lovely trait nearly non-existent in we humans. Now that would be bliss - something to do all the scut work around my place but with no chance of it hitting me with the hot iron when annoyed.

Sure you can. But you would have to keep aggression out of it's protocol,, but as we call it in computer terminology, out of his registry. You know what happens once something gets in the registry.

There are programmes that you can use that you can train to answer you, meaning, feed it the information you want it to know, then teach it the answers, then as time goes by as you continuously train it to become a self-thinker, you can ask it anything and it'll give you answers.... especially if the data has already been fed into him. And the data doesn't have to be in a format that you, yourself understands. With Artificial Intelligence, the subject is 1st taught how to read and compute.

In Germany, when the computer was 1st used over there (IBM), the computers were used to determine how long they would allow someone to live, based on the computers' computation of age, height, health, weight, mental abilities, etc....... and when the machine gave you an expiration (death date), it occurred. That's what machines/computers have been doing to man since they were invented. To actually determine your life span, and then you were slaughtered.

Because computer have so many problems and miscalculations, I'd say the (IBM) computers were wrong about 100% of the people that were put to death, because it computed so.

Although it's complicated, I've been involved with electronics my whole life, well, as long as I can remember me.

Suppose an angry mob of people decided that they want to do you in, but instead of going to prison themselves, let the droids do it for them. And those things came to your home, ripped off the screen doors, surrounded all exits out of the home, and then got in and took care of business.

I wonder,,,,,,,,,?... will the androids have fingerprints?

Edited by Walkman, 18 January 2007 - 06:44 PM.

#9 rsd79

rsd79

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:20 PM

When I first read the article, I thought this would have been a great invention. I was thinking about about all of the ways I could make money if I had the patent.After reading Walkman's posts, I am scared now :thumbsup:.

This type of technology seems like it is way too easy to abuse. The negatives far outweigh the positives.

Edited by rsd79, 18 January 2007 - 07:22 PM.

Dustin Penner is the new Jaromir Jagr.

#10 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:57 PM

With repect for everyone opinions I honestly believe some members read too many comics and watch too many movies where the world is taken over by some crazed robot.Every new invention is sooooooo bad.
Think for one second,if these geniuses are smart enough and clever enough to design and create something like this,wouldn't it be logical that they would have a remote device to disable their circuitry?
We always have the knockers of any new inventions,before it's even perfected or tested.Some people have such a negative outlook on everything,they must have a miserable life.IMHO.

#11 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:58 PM

With repect for everyone opinions I honestly believe some members read too many comics and watch too many movies where the world is taken over by some crazed robot.Every new invention is sooooooo bad.
Think for one second,if these geniuses are smart enough and clever enough to design and create something like this,wouldn't it be logical that they would have a remote device to disable their circuitry?
We always have the knockers of any new inventions,before it's even perfected or tested.Some people have such a negative outlook on everything,they must have a miserable life.IMHO.

That post must have been aimed at me. That's ok. you're entitled to your opinions. That's what I always say.

Every new invention is sooooooo bad.

No, you're wrong. But what more than common sense does a person need to know when something is bad, it's bad. Come on now.... talking about ...... An Inconvenient Truth.... I bet it is far too much for many of you. Why not let the droids control the rest of what's left of your life, and the world, as it is right now.

I noticed that alot of you just go with the flow..... don't really have a conscious of your own, ANd, if you do, you're too scared to face rejection, so you just go along with anything. I read a post, I posted with my opinions, AND FACTS I have on technology, but as always, there will always be those that will resent you for that. But guess what?.... It's all good..... I'm not upset at all.... it's just more of a reason to watch who you confide in.

As far as being miserable in life..... I personally thank Jesus for giving me another day to live, just to get closer to him. So as far as being miserable, that's just another.................. cop out, most people will use to discredit another person's opinion.... But as you think technology is the bad thought of some people, why is it that I have a Bachelor's Degree in Electronics Engineer Technology? Talking about bored?.... I can show you things that will make a head spin in circles until the end of time.

Being book smart and street smart........ I've become Intelligent. And I give all the glory to GOD and how my parents raised me. But flame me as you will, because I know this post was aimed at me. But again, I'm not upset with you, nor will I not answer a post from you if you're requesting any help at all, but it's so hard to identify a person while you're pointing and looking the other way at the same time.

And yes, I'm 41 years now,,, and I grew up reading comic books too. I've always loved to read.

Do you have any you'd like to send me?

But seriously, this is what I knew would happen. It's not the opposition of a persons opinion of another persons opinion, it's the illogic reaction of a persons reply.

I had a premonition that I would be flamed very soon being here on Monday January 15th, 2007, just for speaking my mind, and not only that... trying my best to inform and educate people on various subjects. I knew it. I don't mind the disagreeing with me, but it's quite obvious who your post was aimed at. I'm not senile yet. And it makes me feel that maybe I'm not wanted here, or certain people just don't want me here.

But I hold no grudge against you, nor anyone here, and I don't think one should be held against me. You never know where GOD will put you in life, and the people you'll maybe need for assistance.

If anything, I've learned alot from BleepingComputer, and the site owner(s), moderators, staff members, members have all been kind to me, and I personally thank BleepingComputer for their hospitality they have extended onto me, and I've done the same to others that have joined this great community.

Don't sweat it DSTM, because I still love you, and everyone else here. I have no barriers.

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:10 PM

No, my comments were not aimed at you, Walkman.It was an opinion expressed in general,that not all progress has evil intent.You are my friend and always will be no matter what differences of opinion we may have.I even have a pet name picked out for my android.I just hope she is not programed to throw plates. :thumbsup:

Walkman,talking about comics,my favourite as a child growing up was "The Phantom".
He was my hero. :flowers:
Does anybody remember him?

Edited by DSTM, 18 January 2007 - 10:23 PM.

#13 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:32 PM

Interesting for sure, but she's no "Cherry 2000"

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:35 PM

I don't like the thought of androids. People need occupation. Doing the 'drudge work' actually is a lot of fun. Doing such work for other people is one of the greatest joys in life if you are not abuse - looked down on - for doing them. It is a joy because it honors the other person and helps make the world a better place.

There are a lot of people needing work folks. Putting adroids to work instead? Even more people out of work? No thanks. But what about paying the people the wages these jobs really deserve? These jobs, in truth, are the most important. Think about what life would be like without the garbage collectors, sewer cleaners, the street-sweepers, washers, menders, etc. These folks are the real heroes in our lives.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#15 gkazule

gkazule

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:08 PM

It's certainly an intriguing thought. Perhaps I'm a pessimist, but I can't help thinking that no matter what good has come from a given invention, some one, some where, will always find a way to use it for evil. I can see the good that androids may bring, such as helping around the house, doing mundane tasks, or modeling clothes. I can even see the good in having androids as replacement soldiers. Just think, no more husbands, wives, sons, daughters, fathers, mothers being buried in a closed casket because his/her body is too badly damaged to be shown. Maybe even an end to warfare as we know it now. Whoever runs out of androids first, loses.
However, I can also see all the bad an android can do. Most of these have already been mentioned above, so I won't rehash them here. However, something that hasn't been mentioned, what if something accidentally goes wrong with them? For example, what if an android's cpu overheats, and it malfunctions. Maybe it goes to wave at you or shake your hand and just twitches, thereby crippling or killing someone. There are always going to be millions of bads to balance out the millions of goods that a new invention brings to the table. Cars, guns, boats, computers, television, whatever. It is always just a tool, albeit possibly a very smart one. gk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users