Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jester00

jester00

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:04 PM

Hi Folks...mmm...windows media player...downloaded wmp 11...installed..now have no wmp...have done all the steps to do with .dll, etc..have done the registry stuff...still nothing..can't remove it...can't restore...in a pickle with it. It was direcly caused by installing WMP 11...took the error number to Microsoft site...they have no info on it...what is going on here? Have been thru the web and lots of folk have this trouble but have foun d no answers...any ideas folks???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:47 PM

There is an answer for that problem. And it is....... Stop using Windows Media Player.... Period.

If you go to http://www.free-codecs.com

you will find

Media Player Classic
Real Alternative
QuickTime Alternative
VLC (VideoLAN Client)

All of those programs mentioned above do exactly what those original bloated up other softwares do... but the exception is that these "alternatives" aren't bundled with spyware, tracking, adware, and much more you probably don't want on your computer.

#3 jester00

jester00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:39 PM

Yeah...I do realise that...but it is a case of software being bought from Microsoft, and then broken by Microsoft...that just pisses me off...will continue to hunt round the web for an answer...cheers...

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

Great advice, Walkman! Especially if one really doesn't need all the media stuff in WMP and other bloated programs. All I need to do is stream a few radio stations, view or listen to media on the web, burn a cd now and then. As a matter of fact, I use this alternative. It includes the latest Media Player Classic.

XP Codec Pack is one of the most complete codec pack which helps you to play all major audio and video formats.
And... to complete your multimedia experience, instead of 3 or 4 different players you get one, simple integrated player that plays almost all audio and video files: Media Player Classic.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/XP_Codec_Pack.htm

You can also get it here with other codecs, but frankly, so far I haven't had any need to install any others.

http://www.xpcodecpack.com/

I haven't like WMP since Version 9, and even then I didn't have any use for all the extra stuff in it. The alternatives suit me just fine.

Edited by mommabear, 18 January 2007 - 03:57 PM.

#5 jester00

jester00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:09 PM

Yeah...I know about other media players...etc...I already have them installed...the main reason that I wrote in was to actually find out what the problem was...there is obviously a conflict going on...really just wanted to know how to address this...it is a pain in the arse when your machine does something that you have no control over...that's all...cheers...

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:40 PM

Hi jester00,

Have you tried the either of the methods in How To Fix Windows Media Player?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 jester00

jester00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:08 AM

Thanks TMacK,

Yip, tried the methods before I posted this...and no to avail...I think I will just have to accept that WMP can no longer be on my machine...which is a pain, but really not the end of the world...thanks again folks...

Jester00

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:52 AM

Have been doing a bit of research,so lets go on a longshot here, and assume your copy of WMP may be corrupt.

Try rewriting another copy Windows Media Player 11 over your current copy and see if this clears up the situation.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 jester00

jester00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:14 PM

TMacK,

Tried your advice...it tried to install, but then gave me the message "Setup cannot complete"...joy.
Have been onto the Microsoft forum, and it seems that quite a few folk have been caught by this update. A member said that Microsoft knows about this and is not willing to admit its mistake...because they do not know how to fix it. I do not know about this...seems a bit dodgy...I guess Microsoft will eventually come up with a solution...but it does seem a very sloppy way to do business...really not that surprised...

This is the link to Microsoft site...

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...p;cr=US&p=1

Thanks again for trying to help us out...most appreciated...

Jester00

#10 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:40 PM

Most Interesting jester00.
Thanx for reporting back.

Certainly don't like to admit defeat, but looks like we will have to wait for Micro$oft to come up with a fix for this one!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#11 jester00

jester00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:11 PM

TMacK,
Got it..it was a permission thing...had to registry edit and set permissions even although I am setup as Administrator...
I have a feeling it is because I bought the machine with WMP 10 embedded...and the permissions were not set for it...which has meant a couple of days round the houses trying to fix it...it is not made at all clear by Microsoft, which I think is pretty shady on their part.
I was doing through dll's and renaming registry keys...came across this in wmsetup.log...

Setup complete. Result: '0x80070005'.
System restore end point set.
Setup has failed.

and followed it through...it took a bit but eventually got there...cheers for your advice man...

Jester00

#12 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:07 PM

So glad to hear you got it all sorted out jester00! :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.