Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dial Up Trouble

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:43 PM

I have this desktop computer I put together. It has never been fast on the internet like my bought laptop.
I tested my laptop at cnet for internet speed and it got 42.4kbps when my desktop got a whopping 22.8kbps.

So its about half as fast as my laptop. They are both on the same phone line. What can make such a variable between the two of them? We
cant even use the desktop hardly cause its so so slow its pathetic.
I was thinking of changing the modem would that help?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:53 PM

I would look for loose or damaged telephone wiring. If you have a 56K modem in the desktop it want do much good to change it unless it is damaged. If you are using the same phone jack to hook up both computers one at a time that would eliminate a lot of possibilities. Is this the case?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:26 PM

Only one can be on at the same time with dial up.
I use a simple splitter. One cable goes one way and they other to the pc.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:31 AM

In order to eliminate a bad wire from being the cause of the problem, use the exact same cable to hookup each computer--one at a time. The problem could be in the splitter or the cable from the splitter to the desktop. What size modem is in the desktop?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:31 AM

They are both 56k modems. I cant use my laptop cable its kinda stuck to the floor. I can however get a new one I got with a phone I got yesterday.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:40 AM

Hello, what security tools are on both machines, I ask, because antivirus and firewalls check packets as they come in, are both machines running the same setup?
Regards,

Alan.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:45 AM

Unplug the line going to your desktop and use it to hookup your laptop. The point of doing this is to use your laptop to find out if it is a bad cable or splitter and if not then you know it is either the female connector at the computer or the next logical conclusion would be the modem. One side of the splitter could be bad.

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

Well one pc is xp pro and one is xp home. I think they both have avg free on them and thats it.

I will try these steps and report back.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:32 PM

As I recall, there are settings in some modems for "duplex" and "halp-duplex" - and if my memory serves me correctly, the half-duplex setting may cut your speed in half.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users