Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Space Cadet 3-d Pinball

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:12 PM

Hello,

I haven't been at this forum in ages, but I felt it was one of the "better" places to turn for help.

I am using an HP Pavillion home PC. I have Wndows service pack 2. In trying to find and play a game that was downloaded to my system from the set up CD. I was able to play all the games before I was ever hooked up to the internet highway.

I don't know why this game disappeared. It must be buried in one of my drives somewhere. At any rate, I did some research on the web yesterday + came across some free tech support forum, after Googling Windows Space Cadet 3-D Pinball.

I'm a real novice here, so please, spell out very plainly, step by step, what I need to do to get this game back. One suggestion I tried from the other forum was to copy/paste notepad%SystemRoot%\Inf\Sysoc.inf in the start-run box. Then I scrolled to Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,Hide,7

I deleted the word"Hide",clicked on file,exit + chose yes to save changes

I went back to add/remove programs,then add/remove Windows components,accessories+utilities,details,games,details. I unchecked the box for games,then rechecked it.Then clicked on okay.

I still can't seem to get this game to show up in all programs under games. It originally came with my system's start up CD, so it has to be here somewhere.

Other info you may need is:

HP 9305wdesktop

Processor 2691 MHzx86 Family 15 model2 stepping 9GenuineIntel

Memory 1GB

screen resolution 1024x758 pixels

A long time ago I contacted HP thru "chat" but they were unable to offer any help. I'm counting on someone here to help me fix this.

Thank you so much for your feedback

honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:38 PM

Okay, first you need to right click on your desktop and choose properties. Then go to the web tab then click folder options once you have that done go to the view tab and in the hidden files portion of the list you see make sure it is checked show all files. Then press ok and get out. Go Start>Find>Files or Folders and begin searching all your drives i.e. C. D. just all your hard disk drives. Search for the word pinball or space cadet pinball or anything. Sorry I would give you screenshots even but I'm helping you from windows 98 right now.

Edited by holytoaster4, 18 January 2007 - 12:41 PM.

TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for trying to help. When I did the right click on my desktop all I got was desktop+screen saver info. Saw nothing for for a view tab. Sigh....I'm so much of a novice.
Maybe I can try it another way? As you can tell, I'm not good at this at all. :thumbsup:
honu1

Edited by honu1, 18 January 2007 - 03:27 PM.

#4 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:44 PM

Thanks, holytoaster4!
I proceeded to go thru your second set if instructions + found 27 different files for pinball. Now, they weren't there last night when I was trying all those other methods.
Just wondering...what in the world do I do with all the other references(files/folders) that showed up? One in particular is highlighted in blue+ I believe it's for uninstall, so I don't want to delete that. Is it okay to delete everything else? I don't want otbe using up all my memory. I did make a shortcut on my desktop, so hopefully I won't lose it ever again.
Thanks again for your help. I'm beginning to think that these forums are the place to turn to as Microsoft tech support couldn't ever figure it out-lol!
honu1

#5 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 12:17 AM

I was hoping that someone here could answer my question about deleting all the other files I found in the above search. I sure would appreciate more input. :thumbsup:

Thanks

honu1

#6 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:35 PM

sorry it took me so long to reply I haven't been on this site for quite awile. About deleting the files your going to have to be more specific on what you want to delete because I'm not sure if your asking how to delete all the pinball files or what. Also I would appreciate if someone else tried helping too because I don't have internet on my computer that uses windows xp so i can't give very specific instructions here.

#7 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:47 PM

Thanks, I appreciate your help. Am I becoming a bit of a dinosaur with Windows XP? Am I the last of my breed? :thumbsup:

#8 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:15 PM

Where are the files/folders laocted? Are they all the same? Does 3D Pinball work?

The correct way to reinstall 3D Pinball is by right clicking on pinball.inf and selecting Install. You need to have hidden files and protected system files showing. pinball.inf is located in X:\Windows\inf (where X: is the drive/partition with XP installed).

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 30 January 2007 - 05:19 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#9 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:20 PM

Hello there,
Thanks for taking the time to help me get this sorted out. I found it in my C: Drive. I did a search/find, all files+folders in C+D Drives, entered pinball. Came up with over 20+ entries. I ended up choosing pinball.exe, made it a shortcut to both my desktop+start pane.

It works pretty well for me, but when I enlarge it I lose all the prompts at the top ie: game,tools,help,etc. I have the darndest time trying to exit it.

I don't know why it ever disappeared to begin with. When I go to start-games, it's no longer listed there. It came on the CD with the computer when I first got it. I played some of the games before I ever got hooked up to the internet

I'm thinking I don't have the correct version as you referenced pinball.inf???? Please explain, I'm such a novice. I don't want to lose again what has taken so many months to find. Can you give me some step by step?

Thank you :thumbsup:
honu1

#10 goran.p

goran.p

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:01 AM

When you want to exit from the game ,and the game is on full screen ,type "Esc" on your keyboard.There is no other version of pinball,just this on your CD.BTW do you have other games to play:soliter,spider,minesweeper,hearts,freecell.

Edited by goran.p, 31 January 2007 - 03:07 AM.

#11 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:05 AM

Yes, I have all those

#12 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:48 AM

Double click on My Computer > Double click on your (C:) drive > Double click on the WINDOWS folder > Double click on the inf folder > Scroll down to pinball.inf then right click on it > Click on Install in the windows that pops up.

pinball.inf
Posted Image

Install pinball.inf
Posted Image

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 31 January 2007 - 11:48 AM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#13 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:34 PM

if pinball is working what is the problem? are you trying to get rid of it? you've got me all confused now.

#14 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

It is working,sort of...
I don't feel it's installed properly tho as after I have enlarged it to view/play full screen, I lose all the prompts at the very top such as game,tools,help,+especially exit. Now my question is, if I reinstall it the other way, I suppose I have to delete the shortcut both on my desktop+start panel on the far left?

This is going to take some looking into....hmmmm. I just don't want to lose it again.

#15 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:36 PM

Thanks,Terrorist 75,
I will complete the procedures after this post. Quick question for you. Why is the file size of pinball.inf 3.46KB, while pinball.PNF is 12.0KB? What is the difference between the two? Keep ypur fingers crossed I get this right :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users