Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Decrapifying The Craplets On A New Pc

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:08 AM

Have you ever purchased a new PC and found a ton of software preinstalled that you did not request or even want? These pieces of software are called Craplets.The problem is that PC manufacturers won't remove them because they make money for every machine sold that has these types of software installed. Due to this, one enterprising programmer has decided to take it into his own hands to create a tool called the Decrapifier. The Decrapifier, when run on a computer, will search for known craplets and when found add them to a list. You can then peruse this list and remove those programs that you wish. The Decrapifier is aimed at programs that are typically installed on a new Dell machine, but the program can be used on any computer regardless of age or manufacturer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for the post Grinler.

I've download the program and I'm going to use it. I know one machine I have for sure has one of those listed programs, and that's the Wild Tangent Games icon on my desktop, which was installed whenever I install my HP DVD burner.

That program has alot of potential, and I can see more and more programs being added to it in the near future.

It would however be nice that, if you click on a program before you remove/uninstall it, you can also get a list of all programs it's known to be packaged with. So that way, you don't load it again, when installing your next program or such.

Anyway.... thanks, and it will surely come in handy. I'm all in on productive tools to help keep a computer clean as much as possible.

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:13 PM

Well I just done a dumb......thing.I downloaded and run the program leaving everything set on default.
Lost Google Tool Bar---Favourite sites index and McAfee Site Advisor all in a few seconds.

Edited by DSTM, 18 January 2007 - 01:28 PM.

#4 azulite

azulite

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:55 PM

I have used that program and it works quite well. One question about it. Are the "run registry entries" and "Wild tangent" are really crap that should be removed?

-----
Azulite

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:23 PM

WildTangent, Google Toolbar, .........They're spyware, adware, and crapware. If you leave such programs on your computer, before you know it, your computer will try to access the internet behind your back, and not to mention the other possibilities. And McAfee doesn't seem to be cutting the mustard. It's too commercial, and that alone took away the credibility of it actually doing any good. With programs like the above, it's all about the stock holders, and not the end users.

Crapware is just that, crapware, and you should do your best to make sure that crap stays off of your computer at all times.

#6 azulite

azulite

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:41 PM

*grins*

The mesage is quite clear about the crap that need to be wiped off .. so it's the same about run registery entries?

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:57 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about run registry entries.

1. Do you have a program that changes your registry for you?
2. Was it prepackaged with your computer?
3. Can you give a more descriptive name for the program, if such?

#8 azulite

azulite

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:03 PM

I don't know what it is about really. It was installed by dell and it is one thing that the decrapifyer can remove. I was just wondering if that was safe to remove.

That is the list of crap the decrapifyer can wipe...

QuickBooks Trial
NetZero Installers
Earthlink Setup Files
Corel Photo Album 6
Tiscali Internet
Wanadoo Europe Installer
Get High Speed Internet!
Internet Service Offers Launcher
Dell Search Assistant
Norton Ghost 10.0
Symantec Live Update
MS Plus Photo Story 2LE
MS Plus Digital Media Installer
McAffee
Norton Internet Security
Google Desktop
Google Toolbar
AOL US
AOL UK
MusicMatch Jukebox
MusicMatch Music Services
Wild Tangent Games
Norton AntiVirus 2005
Norton Security Center
Norton AntiSpam
PC-cillin Internet Security 12
Corel Snapfire Plus SE
Yahoo! Music Jukebox
Vongo
Run Registry Entries ********
Desktop Icons
Startup Menu Items
Corel WordPerfect
Roxio RecordNow
Sonic DLA
Sonic Update Manager
Sonic RecordNow Audio
Sonic RecordNow Copy
Roxio MyDVD LE
Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003
Quicken 2006

---
azulite

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:19 PM

Yes thats how come Emachines can throw out a pc and it be cheaper than you can build one and sell it to someone. I mean they all do it. Real fun to get a new pc and have to wipe out 4-5gb on trash.

#10 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:44 PM

Wipe it out.... Also, if you've ordered your pc, and it's a Dell, you probably don't have the OS discs, which you rightfully have the rights to have in your possession. If not, here is a note you can email to them and they will send you all the discs you need, for FREE.

Good day,
I recently placed an online order for a Dell desktop computer, my order number is XXXXXXXXX. I have had the computer for about two months now, and I have gotten a virus. I need to reformat my computer because I have tried system restores and everything but to no avail, however I didnít realize that I didnít receive any of the software CDís needed. From what Iíve gathered, I need the following CDs:
1) Operating System
2) Application: For Reinstalling Dell Tools System Software
3) Drivers and Utilities

Could these please be shipped to me?

They sould be in your hands withing a day or so. They'll over-night them to you. :thumbsup:

#11 azulite

azulite

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:26 PM

Yes thats how come Emachines can throw out a pc and it be cheaper than you can build one and sell it to someone. I mean they all do it. Real fun to get a new pc and have to wipe out 4-5gb on trash.

And true they all do it, I am not upset... but thankful I have a lot of time on my hands to clean the mess. I don't know that I am having SOO much fun at cleaning all the crap, but sure am learning what crap is :trumpet:

Also, if you've ordered your pc, and it's a Dell, you probably don't have the OS discs, which you rightfully have the rights to have in your possession.

Dude, you wont believe it. I actually have the discs :inlove: Well it is not the WinXP cd as if you would order from microsoft . It is the dell version with dell written all over it. Got the Av disk, dvd burner disk, device drivers for the lap top too. Maybe i was priviledge because I used an emplyee discount :cool: But love the letter you wrote :) haha I might give it a try anyways .. just to see how they answer :thumbsup: haha but my letter would start like "I have had the computer for 3 days!" not two months

Thanks to you both :flowers:

---------
Azulite.

Edited by azulite, 17 March 2007 - 11:28 PM.

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:06 AM

Preinstalled Crapware. Reason number 2,687 to build your own machine.

#13 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:52 AM

Yeah my friend brought his new vista laptop over.

They have tons of these demo games on it in hopes you will like them and pay like 10-20 bucks or whatever for them if you want to keep them.

#14 azulite

azulite

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:20 PM

yep. They install bunch of games and like 8 media players 5 internet connection and loads more...

But the price was great enough to actually deal with that, at least to me.. just unsure how i like to see 547 erros found in the registery (scanned with eusing)

But at least now dell does send installation discs (no need to beg and pay 10$ for them).
:thumbsup:

----------
azulite

#15 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:49 PM

What to do: buy a prefab with the most crapware possible; this should lower the price (that's the logic, right?). Spend an extra hundred on a XP cd from Microsoft. Wipe the drive and install Windows fresh.

Voila

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users