Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built-in Microphone?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:56 AM

I feel like a fool for not noticing it before, but I just realized that there is a "microphone" function on my taskbar. I have no idea what it's for or how to use it.

I was going to buy a desktop mic so I could chat on YIM, but first I want to know what the built-in mic is for.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:08 PM

I believe you're talking about the Windows Language Bar.

If you right-click on the Task Bar, then select Toolbars, yours is probably checked with a checkmark by it. I believe it's just a quick and easy way to use your microphone, instead of going into the control panel.

I unchecked mine, since I don't need to have it displayed. I guess it's good if you do a lot of video conferencing or chatting online.

#3 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:26 PM

Ohhh okay. But what IS the microphone? Does this toolbar make it easier to access a microphone that's built into the computer or a microphone that I have to plug in myself?

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:52 PM

You wrote:

Ohhh okay. But what IS the microphone? Does this toolbar make it easier to access a microphone that's built into the computer or a microphone that I have to plug in myself?

The microphone button will start your recording, I believe.

As far as you 2nd question, I would imagine it would work for whichever one is setup to work. You can always try it and see. It won't hurt anything.

Also, if you have the Language Bar on your Taskbar, it has a help file that explains it in detail. Just click on the icon that looks like this ?

#5 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:43 PM

Okaaay...

So it isn't some built-in microphone on the tower that is enabled by clicking on the microphone icon? I just want to make sure of that.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:48 PM

Okaaay...

So it isn't some built-in microphone on the tower that is enabled by clicking on the microphone icon? I just want to make sure of that.

Correct... it's just a fast way to do some recording.... and it seems to be aimed at voice recognition. Which can be used to read text for you and other applications.

#7 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:32 PM

Ahhhh. Gotcha.

Thanks a mil!

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:06 PM

You're quite welcome!

#9 allan32

allan32

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:31 AM

I unchecked mine, since I don't need to have it displayed. I guess it's good if you do a lot of video conferencing or chatting online.

Walkman...does it seems really help any in conferencing...Frankly I am not sure of its functionality. I just remove it from my taskbar by ticking to not show it again in future. Is it wanna provide any help is conferencing through Dimdim, Rhubcom or Yugma...!

Edited by allan32, 01 April 2008 - 02:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users