Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Police Car Chases.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:21 AM

In Australia teenagers lose their lives all the time in their cars trying to out run Police. A foolish decision made on the spur of the moment,mostly with a tragic ending.Wondering what your thoughts are on this subject.No doubt it happens in your country as well.

Should the Police give up the chase when it becomes too dangerous?
Should the Police be better off useing road spikes if possible?
Is it right to endanger the public, and kill them often as well?
Is it right when the Police guess the teenage driver is going to get killed,
and won't abandon the chase,probably due to the adrenalin rush of a chase,as well?
After all,the teenager is not an escaped mass murderer.
Possibly taking the cars licence plate number and tracking the person later may
be an answer in some cases.
Is there a better solution?

Edited by DSTM, 18 January 2007 - 10:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:33 AM

I love watching these shows on TV. When you're watching you forget that a lot of times someone loses their life in the chase.

There's gotta be a way that the police can track the teenager (perhaps in an unmarked car) instead of going on a full-fledged chase, which not only endangers the lives of the police & the teenager, but others as well.
Lots of times, on the TV shows, it seems the kids are just joyriding, not really paying attention to who is behind them, until the blue lights start flashing. Then they get nervous and anxious and start running.
So maybe have one unmarked car follow until more can get in a better position to take its place. Anyone would be suspicious of the same car following them for miles & miles.

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:32 PM

The stupid people who run from the cops and kill others is tragic. If they die its one thing but killing innocent is sad.

I think very strict laws for running from the cops could cut down on the attempts to run away. If they knew that if they ran they would get 1 year in jail and no bail then maybe they would think twice.

Now not just a 70 mile per hour chase. I mean if they really run, like 90's and over 100 miles per hour.

In some cases they do stop chasing them. Most of the time the people that run DO need to be put in jail and not just let go to find them later. Most of the people that run have something to hide and is not just trying to no get a ticket.

#4 petocities

petocities

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:13 PM

maybe the problem is not police chasing teenagers, but teenagers running... have you consider that?
Posted Image

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:55 PM

maybe the problem is not police chasing teenagers, but teenagers running... have you consider that?

I believe, it's the fault of the Police, as well for failing to end a pursuit, when the odds of the teenager killing himself are obvious.Teenagers tend to panic when they are chased by Police.IMHO.They may have an unpaid speeding fine, or may be wanted for some minor offence,but fail to realise in the split second decision they make, that they may be killed,or kill an innocent person or persons in the process.There has to be another way to prevent this carnage on our roads.We see horrific TV footage of teenagers cars torn in two,and sometimes there are 3 or 4 killed in the one car.Every 2 or 3 weeks we see graphic pictures where yet another teenager or teenagers have tragically lost their lives.The police always cover themselves by saying they abandoned the chase.When, 50 yards before the crash scene.I am of the opinion,that if the police stopped the pursuit when the car licence plate number was taken,then with no police chaseing them,the teenagers would most likely slow down also.

Edited by DSTM, 18 January 2007 - 02:20 PM.

#6 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:04 PM

I'd rather the police give up the chase 'earlier' rather than 'later' - both for their own safety and the safety of the innocent people in the path of the person driving the car.

And agree that stiffer penalties are needed, too! Part of the problem in our area is most of these chases involve teenagers joy riding in stolen cars - and our laws are such that teenagers are not treated as 'real' people when it comes to penalties, rather as 'children'. At the very least for these 'children', they should perhaps be required to work weekends in the 'vehicle accident storage lot - just sorting for parts and trying to keep their hands off the blood and guts stuck to the edges of shattered windshields may have some effect.

We have street racing here - a lot of it in Vancouver - and I like CGM's idea of a year in jail, minimum and if they've caused bodily harm, a far longer minimum in prison and loss of licence for 10 years (a repeat offender to lose it forever) in addition to having their vehicle permanently confiscated and sold at Police Auction. (Can you tell I have no sense of humour about this? - gentle smile).

The Police risk their lives (and inadventantly, other innocent lives each day) in chases - the below 'Mobile Engine-Disabling' devise for disabling the suspect vehicle remotely from the police car sounds like a wonderful option.

http://www.policeops.com/Police-Products.htm
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#7 CTN

CTN

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:06 PM

Ideally, I think think that young drivers should only be allowed to drive vehicles with restricted speed/power so that top speed would be 50 - 55mph. Yes, some of them probably would steal high power cars and still speed, but the majority wouldn't.

#8 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:19 PM

Ideally, I think think that young drivers should only be allowed to drive vehicles with restricted speed/power so that top speed would be 50 - 55mph. Yes, some of them probably would steal high power cars and still speed, but the majority wouldn't.

I like that idea a great deal, CTN! In fact, a few years ago it became possible to put a 'restricter' on one's vehicle so it wouldn't go over a certain speed limit. Oddly enough, few people took advantage of this option. One thing that has always confused me is since we don't live in Germany, we literally have no[b] place to drive cars over, for example, 70 miles an hour. So why are most cars able to reach such excessive speeds, I wonder.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#9 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:55 PM

if you watch many shows such as "world's wildest police chases" the police will give up the chase if they are indangering public lives. but also note that they have a duty to defend the civilian polulation and uphold the law, and when you run away/ high speed chase you are putting innocents in dandger and you have to be stopped. there needs to be new roadblocks ideas to help prevent them running away, yet not rusualting in killing of someone. on ething being researched for NASCAR (american auto racing) i think the police should look into is a new barrier to help the vehical crach but take most of the energy away from the vehicle. it contracts when impact occurs enough to save a person driving 70-90 MPH i believe. yet it will expand a few minutes later when crash is over to get ready for another crash. as for restrictors, they are a good idea but i think they could easily be subverted so im not sure what to do about that.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#10 petocities

petocities

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:09 PM

I believe, it's the fault of the Police, as well for failing to end a pursuit, when the odds of the teenager killing himself are obvious.Teenagers tend to panic when they are chased by Police.IMHO.They may have an unpaid speeding fine, or may be wanted for some minor offence,but fail to realise in the split second decision they make, that they may be killed,or kill an innocent person or persons in the process.There has to be another way to prevent this carnage on our roads.We see horrific TV footage of teenagers cars torn in two,and sometimes there are 3 or 4 killed in the one car.Every 2 or 3 weeks we see graphic pictures where yet another teenager or teenagers have tragically lost their lives.The police always cover themselves by saying they abandoned the chase.When, 50 yards before the crash scene.I am of the opinion,that if the police stopped the pursuit when the car licence plate number was taken,then with no police chaseing them,the teenagers would most likely slow down also.

Ok, i will agree that when it is obvius that the teenager may get killed, the pursue should be halted. Although, what are the odds of the driver to be the actual teenager and not a car thieve, a drug dealer, or any other? Why would he run away so drastically if he does not have major criminal records? The police (most of the time) do not know this, so they have to (as it is their duty to) pursue the potential outlaw, that is police for...
So the topic is not anymore about teenagers running, but lack of efficiency in determining the driver's status and/or identity. And, even if it is a teenager, he could still be a murderer, drug dealer, or any other. The problem then resides in the lack of confidence of teenagers in the police force and law enforcement methods, otherwise, they would give in.
Is not as simple to say "just give the pursuit and get the plate number", because it could be a borrowed, stolen or hired car, or whatever other chances there are over there...
Posted Image

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:10 PM

If they knew the police were scared to chase them or could not they would run every time.

#12 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

If they knew the police were scared to chase them or could not they would run every time.

Police are not too scared to chase them at all.That why so many teenagers are being needlessly killed,simply by making a poor judgement at a critical moment.After all, how many pursuits involve middlle aged drivers?The answer,almost nil because adults have a tendency to make sensible decisions,and wouldn't even think of out running the Police.Yes there are isolated instances,but not the norm.
Nearly every time,after one of these chases resulting in death,one or both of the parents are interviewed on TV here, and states their child had no criminal record prior to their death,and the Police interviewed don't deny this fact.I'd like to see a method used where the pursuit can be terminated,before tragedy strikes.
I read somewhere where the Police in some country were trialing a device that was fired into the getaway cars trunk,immediately shutting off the cars ignition,and ending the pursuit.

Edited by DSTM, 19 January 2007 - 12:53 AM.

#13 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

Re: "I read somewhere where the Police in some country were trialing a device that was fired into the getaway cars trunk,immediately shutting off the cars ignition,and ending the pursuit".

This would be perfect - whether it's this or a remote control type thing, anything that gives the Police force the power to stop these cars prior to anyone being injured sounds great!

Just wonder if the governments will come up with the money once the system is perfected?

(I say that because for ages now there has been a system for allowing fire-fighters to see in the dark within burning buildings - yet because of it's expense, it's rare and people die each year that may not have had to).

#14 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:46 AM

It's a difficult call to make, in the past few years I've seen the police back off and the suspects don't stop running. One time they hit a telephone pole, another time they hit another car with people in it. Both times it was several minutes after the chase was over. The one with the other car, the police did'nt know what happened to the car they were chasing until they arrived at the accident.
So stopping the chase does not mean the suspects will slow down. So what then? Not start the chase? You don't know it will be a chase untill they run, then what? I don't have the answers..... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#15 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 04:35 PM

One of the other members touched on one of the possible answers, perhaps ...

Make them pay. If they knock down a light post, make them pay for it. Make them pay for the damage to the stolen car (i.e. the insurance company pays the victim and the villian must pay back every cent to the insurance company).

At the risk of sounding really old fashioned here, when I accidently broke a neighbour's window with a snow ball, I was only 8. But half of my allowance each week for the next 6 months, I had to give to the neighbours for the upset I'd caused them - and to work off the rest of the money owing to my father (who had a new window installed the same day), I had to do a zillion extra chores for the next 6months, too. Hated every moment of it but it didn't hurt me any in the long run.

If one of our kids broke something accidently, nothing was ever said (providing they 'fessed up', of course - grin!) - but if one of them was told not to touch and they did anyway and broke another's special toy, for instance, half of their allowance went towards the cost of the toy we would replace, until it was paid for.

Guess by now, lots are thinking, "Dod, what a mean mother!" (even my mother thought so - hoot!) - but although the girls were far from perfect, just as I am, all of them learned things in life have consequences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users