Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some Questions About Sygate Personal Firewall (free)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wwejosh

wwejosh

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:20 AM

Hi.
I recently installed sygate personal firewall.
If people with sygate pf could please answer some of my questions, that would be much appreciated.

Can someone please explain to me if I am getting the same protection as I would if I had a paid version?

Can someone please explain what each line graph means?
What they mean by in total and blocked in the graph key?
The higher the line goes in a graph, whats that mean?
Something that comes up in the security log, what does this mean?

Any options that should be altered from default?

Thanks guys, like I said your help is greatly appreciated. Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:27 AM

Hello,

I have had a fair ammount of experience with sygate personal firewall,

The answers to your questions. The green line represents the level of traffic coming in or going out of your network interface. The red line is the ammount of blocked content that the firewall has blocked.
Simply put that the higher the line goes, the more information has come through or is blocked. Sygate is a rule based firewall, anything packet that breaks a rule, is instantly logged so the owner can look at the event. If you go to tools and settings, you can configure the firewall there, I would recomend ticking as much as you can, though you cant get things like anti mac spoofing, unless you upgrade.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:41 AM

Although Sygate was bought out by Symantec, there's still a forum available for information and help. It's an excellent Firewall, free or shareware. I've used it for years. I do not intend to "upgrade" to any Symantec version of it. Definition updates will eventually cease for it, if they haven't already, but the core firewall program will be effective for a long time to come.

http://forums.sygate.com/vb/

#4 wwejosh

wwejosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:07 AM

Hi. Thanks guys.
So is incoming and outgoing traffic bad?
What are some examples of incoming traffic?
What are some examples of outgoing traffic?
Also in the incoming and the outgoing graphs when the green line goes higher than 0, there is the red blocked line along the 0 line does this mean the green line above it is blocked?

Also I didn't really understand the security log answer, Could you please explain it again. What Im saying is is if something that comes up in the security log, did it get past the firewall?

Thanks guys, your great.

Edited by wwejosh, 19 January 2007 - 02:53 AM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:15 AM

1. Traffic is simply traffic.
2. Everytime you load a page, for example, you will get incoming traffic in the form of packets of data.
3. Everytime you change a page in your browser, you will get outgoing traffic.
4. The green line is simply an indicator of the amount of traffic, if the red line is at zero, then Sygate has blocked nothing.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:23 AM

Hello,

Sygate has several logs,

Packet log, which records eerything that comes in to or goes out of your pc

system log, this will tell you that the service has started or stopped etc,

Security log, this log will tell you about attacks or questionable activities that have tried to happen, (remember, if its in the log, sygate saw it and took a note of it)

Traffic log just displays what is coming in and out of the pc where its going and so on

thats it I think,
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users