Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb 2.0 & Firewire Not Working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alienfog

Alienfog

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:41 AM

I recently installed WinXP a few weeks ago and installed the motherboard chipset drivers and all other drivers etc. I am unable to get my printer to work on the firewire port, it will work on the USB port, but not as USB 2.0. I get a little pop up from Windows that says the device can run faster. Also with my digicam when I plug it into the USB port I get the same little pop up about the device being able to run faster. I was fine with all that until tonight. When I plug in my MP3 player Windows states it does not recognize it.
After my installation of Windows a few weeks ago I disable a lot of services and I'm wondering if it might be that. USB & Firewire are enabled in BIOS and I installed the same drivers as before. So I'm leaning towards a service that I disable. My specs are as follows as well as a pic of device manager for reference. Any help would be great. :thumbsup:

Abit AN8 SLI
AMD A64 3000
Win XP SP 2

Posted Image
*****************************************************************************************
Abit An8 Ultra
A64 3000 @ 2.2
7800GT
1GB Corsair XXL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:39 AM

I would say that the PC does not support or have the correct drivers for USB2. This is most likely the reason that the MP3 player is not working correctly. If it is only supporting USB2 and not 1.1 then it won't work. This is all due to standards of power over USB.

This also could be a problem with drive letters if the MP3 player is trying to pickup a letter that either already exists or not able to map a drive letter to it. This is something to look for. If you right click on the My Computer and goto manage. There is a sub section called disk management. Have a look if the MP3 player is listed as a drive. If it is then see if there is a drive letter attached. If not right click on it and assign a drive letter.

The firewire is most likely to be a driver issue. Try an update driver on the firewire or have a look on the manufacturers website for the firewire driver.
Posted Image

#3 Alienfog

Alienfog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

That's just it though, I have installed the latest drivers for USB 2.0 & Firewire that's why I'm wondering if it happens to be some Service that I disabled. What's supposed to happen is that I plug my MP3 player and Windows recognizes it and when I look at My Computer my MP3 player shows up. When I look at the properties of the MP3 player Windows would recognize it as a Mass Storage Device. I went into services and Enable the one for Mass Storage Device but that didn't work.
Is there a generic Firewire & USB 2.0 driver I could try and see if that works?
*****************************************************************************************
Abit An8 Ultra
A64 3000 @ 2.2
7800GT
1GB Corsair XXL

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:29 AM

Try the checking the disk management as stated above this is likely to be the case why it is not showing.

What will happen if the mp3 player is trying to assign a drive letter to the device that it has used before but you have multiple partitions on your system it will not be able to select the correct letter. Try the steps stated above and see if that resolves the issue.

If you right click on the My Computer and goto manage. There is a sub section called disk management. Have a look if the MP3 player is listed as a drive. If it is then see if there is a drive letter attached. If not right click on it and assign a drive letter.

Posted Image

#5 Alienfog

Alienfog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:03 PM

Alrite, now that I'm home I was finally able to check out to see if it shows as a drive. It doesn't show up at all. Anyone know of some generic drivers I can try?
Abit An8 Ultra
A64 3000 @ 2.2
7800GT
1GB Corsair XXL

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:07 PM

Your screenshot of Device Manager shows that USB 2.0 is installed (although the configuration is different from what I'm used to). Have you tried different USB ports to see if it's the ports that you're using?

Is this the AN8 Ultra mobo in your sig? Are you using XP 32 bit or XP 64 bit?

In most systems that I've seen - all of the USB stuff is under one Universal Serial Bus controllers heading, not 2 like yours shows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Alienfog

Alienfog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:12 PM

Your screenshot of Device Manager shows that USB 2.0 is installed (although the configuration is different from what I'm used to). Have you tried different USB ports to see if it's the ports that you're using?

Is this the AN8 Ultra mobo in your sig? Are you using XP 32 bit or XP 64 bit?

In most systems that I've seen - all of the USB stuff is under one Universal Serial Bus controllers heading, not 2 like yours shows.

Yes it's the AN8 Ultra in my sig. It came with a board with 2 extra 2.0 USB ports and a extra firewire port. Here's a link for my mobo. The 2 ports on the mobo itself do not work in 2.0 mode nor the ports on the extra board. I've tried different ports for it but it won't recognize it at all. I'm at a loss as to what it can be. And I'm running WinXP Home 32 bit. At this point I don't care about 2.0 speed I just want it to recognize my damn MP3 player. :thumbsup:
Abit An8 Ultra
A64 3000 @ 2.2
7800GT
1GB Corsair XXL

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:14 AM

Recently a member (I think it was Budapest) pointed out a link to a Microsoft KB article that addressed a similar problem.

Here's the gist of it: Open up Device Manager and navigate to the USB stuff. Right click on each item, select Properties, then click on the Driver tab. Then click on Update Driver. Do this for each device listed under USB.

Does this help to solve your problem?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users