Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing C: Memory Rapidly

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Indrananda

Indrananda

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:55 PM

Hey there. A very kind soul suggested that I post this here. I had a thread running in the Hijack this forum. You can view that thread here, and I hope you will.

My problem in a nut shell is that I am constantly losing memory on my C: drive. It started a few weeks ago, and has not stopped, but for a short time during the time frame of that other post. I have tried everything suggested there multiple times, and with limited success, as the problem returns. For instance, today I started with 180+mb free space on my drive, and just now 'cleaned up' space, to give me 57mb free. WTF!? I have not been downloading any new programs, or viewing, uh, graphics intensive items... nuthin' that I can think of. I've been regularly dumping any cache and temp files I can find, and am running out of ideas. Spyware and Virus scans, multiples of both, show nothing, so I'm thinking it may be windows related...

I'm running XP svc pack 2 iirc. I use Firefox/Mozilla through Tor/Vidalia's proxies. Zonealarms free firewall, with AVG's virus scanner. Spybot Search and Destroy, and a few other things as well. You can see them all in my HiJack This logs on the other thread. I'll post my most recent HJT log here as well if you want. It's a 32GB drive. I have another 200gb partitioned into several other drives, but they're doing fine as far as I can tell.

I'm very open to suggestions

Any advice is appreciated. TIA,
Indy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:30 AM

Indrananda,

I see you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum.
You shouldn't make any changes to your system, while your HJT log is posted, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.
At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.

Edited by tg1911, 18 January 2007 - 12:35 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users