Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Free Up Space On Drive C:

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 midvale

midvale

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:17 PM

It's my first post here and apologies if this has been answered recently; I did a search but didn't find anything. I have a Dell Dimension 8250/Pentium 4 running Windows XP with Service Pack 2. My hard drive is 120 GB and I have it partitioned with my c: being 8 GB, using NTFS format.

The problem is that I only have a few hundred meg of free space on c: even though I do not install any programs nor save any data to it. I have done all the usual things; emptied the recycle bin, deleted temp files, even moved my ServicePack files to another partition. I purchased Partition Magic in the hopes of making c: larger but I get a warning saying that c: may be unbootable if I do so.

SO... I have a few questions:
1) If I increase the size of c: beyond 8 GB, will my drive really become unbootable if using NTFS and Windows XP or is this only a problem with NT?
2) How can I free up more space on c:? Both hubby and I have separate log-in profiles so under c:\documents and settings we both have all sorts of files with application data for various programs that are installed on other partitions. Do these need to stay on c: and if not, how do I move them?
3) Some programs, for example my HP printer driver, do not allow me to choose which drive on which to install, so they end up on c. Is there any way to force these to install onto other partitions?
4) Can I move my Fonts folder to another partition and how do I access it there?

I have heard that c: should be kept as small as possible but my Windows folder itself is already 3 GB.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
midvale

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:27 AM

If you are saving a lot of data in your My Documents folders then you can move these to another partition to free up space on the C: drive. This article has more information.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 midvale

midvale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:13 AM

Hi Budapest,

No, I do not have any data, nor many programs on c: I've ended up with some stuff on c: that Windows automatically put there such as prefs, etc. for programs on other partitions.

I should also add that I have Zone Alarm and Spy Sweeper and run them at least twice a week.

midvale

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:20 AM

Have you deleted all the temp files off your C: drive?

Check out this article for advice on cleaning up your hard-drive.

Also, check out the free program CCleaner, which will do a good job of cleaning junk off your hard-drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:45 AM

Check the size of System Restore. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > System Restore tab. Click on each drive (partition) and look at the size (12% is default). I use 5% on all drives (partitions). You use the slider to adjust this setting. Click OK when done.

Another tool to run is Disk Cleanup found at Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:48 PM

Go to the reeware section in my sig and look for Treesize. This can tell you what you have on your C partition.

#7 midvale

midvale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:18 PM

I guess I should've been clearer in my original post. I have already used Disk Cleanup to delete all my temp files and the usual stuff to clean up one's hard drive.

I think most of what I have cluttering my drive is Windows itself and all the application data it saves to c: whenever I install a program on another partition. Plus the programs I am unable to install onto another partition since the install program doesn't let me choose where it goes. Anybody know any workarounds for this?

I didn't think System Restore was eating up my drive space since it isn't working right now (I should probably post about that, since I have already tried to reinstall sr.ini and even ordered the SP2 CD from Microsoft to try to reinstall SP2, but that's for another thread...) but just now I did what TheTerrorist_75 suggested and downsized it to 5% (it was set on 12%). Just for fun I checked the free space on c: and lo and behold it is now at 805 MB. The last time I checked it (yesterday), it was in the 2-300s. I have not done any more cleanups so coincidence? I think not, so thanks! Now if I can only get System Restore working again.

So I have a lot more free drive space now, but still not a lot. I'm still wondering if it is safe to increase my logical drive c: to greater than 8 GB. I still don't understand this 8 GB limit since I'm thinking that a lot of computers have unpartitioned HDs greater than 8 GB in size and they obviously boot up no problem.

midvale

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:18 AM

There is a program called Partition Magic which will let you resize your partitions without losing your data. That way you could increase the size of your C: partition. Partition Magic isn't free though. There may be freeware programs that can do the same thing but I don't know any off hand.

Edited by Budapest, 19 January 2007 - 01:37 AM.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:26 AM

Could you elaborate on your last para, for the sake of the willing helpers? There is no limit, that I am aware of, on the size of the partition, NTFS or otherwise. In fact, I would say, including your own essential software and anything you might wish to install and test, plus the pagefile, you are scraping the lower end of space availability with only 8 gigs.

#10 midvale

midvale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:16 PM

Budapest, you will see from my original post that I have Partition Magic already. The problem, and I will elaborate for uhaligani and others, is that when I try to increase the size of my c: beyond 8 GB I get "this partition crosses the 1024 cylinder boundary and may not be bootable." I am not sure what this means, maybe I am wrong in assuming it means I can't size my c: drive bigger than 8 GB.

midvale

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:33 AM

Sorry about that - I should read more carefully in future.

What I understand is that older operating systems need to have the boot files in the first 1024 cylinders in order to boot. But if you are using Windows XP it shouldn't be a problem.

My system has the C: partition at 20GB and I have no problems with it (it came from the factory set up like this).

Edited by Budapest, 20 January 2007 - 10:35 AM.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 midvale

midvale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:57 PM

No worries. I appreciate your help. After reading your last reply and reading this on PC world I went ahead and resized my c: to 12 GB and spent quite a few anxious moments on reboot while Partition Magic did its thing.

And voila! everything booted up ok and I now had enough space to do a proper defrag.

Thanks for the help. Now, if I can only get my System Restore to work (but that's a topic for another post).

midvale

#13 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:29 PM

What is or isn't System Restore doing? Describe the problem, for there are different fixes.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#14 midvale

midvale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:09 PM

I have posted a new message here about my System Restore woes.

thanks,
midvale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users