Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 akkaquill

akkaquill

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:24 PM

I have two computers hooked up to dsl through a router (not wireless) and they both ran great for about 6 months. Now for the last week the computer hooked up to the first port on the router hasn't been able to load pages in ie or firefox, even though the internet connection is good. The computer hooked up on the second router port works fine regardless of whether or not the other computer does. I've tried resetting the router, restarting the computer, and switching which router ports the computers are plugged into but I still can't get the first computer to work. It does work however, if I plug the computer straight into the dsl box. Does anyone know anything about this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:28 PM

Is the computer receiving an IP address from the router? Can it ping the router's IP (the default gateway listed in Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig)?
Posted Image

#3 akkaquill

akkaquill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:35 PM

Yes it's recieving an IP

Edited by akkaquill, 17 January 2007 - 08:35 PM.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:40 PM

Can you ping an internet address like google.com?
Posted Image

#5 akkaquill

akkaquill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:44 PM

Nope, it says host unreachable

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:47 PM

But it's able to ping the router?

What about firewalls, are any enabled on the computer?
Posted Image

#7 akkaquill

akkaquill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:52 PM

Mcafee firewall is enabled and internet explorer and firefox are both listed under allowed programs and are given full access to the internet

Edited by akkaquill, 17 January 2007 - 08:52 PM.

#8 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:15 PM

Remove McAfee and try again.
That might not be it, it could be some other software issue, or there's a rare chance that something screwy is with the router, but McAfee is horrible software. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it were the root of the problem.
Posted Image

#9 akkaquill

akkaquill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

Firefox just decided to work all of a sudden so I decided to open up ie and I noticed in the little status bar at the bottom that instead of saying "connecting to google.com" which is the homepage it said "trying to find ad subtract". So I went removed the program ad subtract (it never gets used anyway) and now ie is working fine also. Do you have any idea why ie was trying to find this program? or why removing it fixed the connection problem?

#10 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:46 PM

Ah, Adsubtract works by running a go-between web interface called a proxy, so it's likely there was a conflict somehow with that. Software firewalls and proxies can really muck up internet connectivity when they don't work the way they should.
Posted Image

#11 akkaquill

akkaquill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:52 PM

Alright, thanks a lot for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users