Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mailto Hangs Outlook Mail

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mardy

mardy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:18 PM

A long-standing problem I have is that email links with mailto cause the Outlook email to hang, and I have to kill the process. In other words, if I click on a person's email which has the form mailto:person@place.com I get the Outlook email form but the cursor turns into an hour-glass which does not go away until I kill the process.

My Outlook email uses the POP/SMTP of my ISP but I use my Yahoo email predominantly and would like the mailto to bring up my Yahoo email form so that I could write into it, not the Outlook form with the hour-glass!

Must my default email be the Outlook? How can I change this, or can I? But most of all, why do I always get this "hang" that I have to kill?

I have Windows XP SP2 Home Edition.

Thanks for any insight into this.

Thanks, Mardy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:11 AM

The mail to: function always brings up an email client such as Outlook on your desktop. You can change which one it brings up by opening Internet Explorer & at the top choose Tools > Internet Options > Programs, clicking the down arrow next to Email: as shown in the pic below, & selecting something other than Outlook. Click Apply > Ok & your done.

Posted Image

You should then configure the newly selected program to check/send your email from your ISP & your Yahoo account. If you don"t have this already installed on your computer, Thunderbird is a recommended email program to use. You can find it here: Thunderbird

#3 mardy

mardy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:11 AM

Thank you very much, hillbillygreek. Even though I use Firefox (2.0.0.1) I brought up my IE and simply changed Outlook mail to Yahoo mail under Options/Programs as you described. After restarting, I found that the mailtos now take me directly to the Yahoo email input file with no problem when I run Firefox.

Thanks a bunch for an elegantly simple solution to a perplexing problem for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users