Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Svchost.exe Suspicions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wirespeed91

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:46 PM

as the title says, I'm having suspicions about svchost.exe. My computer's been running slow in general lately, so I decided to look on my processes at startup to always shut down all the unnecessary ones that i dont use (like the ones for the printer i don't have installed on this comp but used to) and i notice 5 svchost.exe's running, so i decided to look it up, as you may know, it turns out to be a process that is vital to the Windows OS, and it takes up 0% of my CPU, all of them. I also see stuff about the virus versions of it and see one person say that if it takes up more memory then IE, then its probably the virus, 4 of them take up anywhere from 3,000 to 8,000 K of memory, but ones taking up around 24,000 K of memory (which is more then what IE7 uses when its idle (about 10,000 K), i checked, and when its not idle, it uses just a couple thousand more than that, about 26,000 K if i remember correctly). obviously, this is specifically the one i'm suspicious about, and i'm really nervous because if i end the wrong one, this computer will restart and i'll have to redo all my tidying up. i should also mention that neither Windows Defender, Spybot S&D (not surprising considering i get a !!!badchecksum!!! error when i try to update), Ad-Aware Personal Edition, nor AVG Free can detect anything wrong.

P.S. there is another process called jusched.exe, its nothing important and it frees up resources to just shut it down, so i do, but theres a legit version and an illegit virus version, and i'm unsure as to which i have, if some1 can tell me how to tell the difference it would be much appreciated

Edited by Wirespeed91, 17 January 2007 - 07:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:34 PM

If you want to find out whats running in all the svchosts have a look at this program, its free and very usefull.

The jusched.exe, belongs to Java, as long as you have up to date A V, I wouldn't worry about it.

Hope this helps

#3 buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,745 posts
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:43 PM

Before clicking on the "download updates" button in Spybot, click on the little arrowhead next to it and select USA as the download site. That site is the fastest and most dependable.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users