Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why All The "end Program" Boxes At Shut Down?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:21 PM

Hello all,

Man it's cold out there! :thumbsup: We're still at below freezing for wind chills here in sunny CO.

Anyway, I've recently done a "Full System Recovery". I have most of my programs loaded back on and have updates to all my security programs, etc. Most times when I shut down the computer tho, a couple, even a dozen windows will come up, one at a time that say "End Program". Each box will have the file name that's having issues, some I recognize from my system tray, others are probably services I'm not yet acquainted with. Each time, the blue parades across the progress bar until I click on "End Now". Sometimes, there are two boxes, "End Now" and "Cancel".

I'd sure like to know what's causing all these programs/services to hang up if that's the correct term here during the shut down process. I have a Compaq with XP Home, 512 k RAM, 80 GB with 77% free space. I just defragged earlier yesterday, had 3/4 of my files needing defragging (showing as red). I've heard that's from recently adding so many programs? I otherwise seem to be running okay. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Eagle7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:01 PM

Hi Eagle,

I've never seen anything like that... But, once when I called MS Safety, they gave me two new ways to clean up temp files I'd never seen before. Both commands are run with "Start" then "Run" then type in one command press enter. You get a list of files. Do edit - select all - file - delete and close the folder. If any files are left you can try to do a file-delete on each, but if you can't get rid of all then just go forward. Then go back to start and run the second command. After you do the clean up, then I would suggest going to http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm which is an online windows scan for XP. Select the "full service scan" - it will take (3+?) hours to complete and let it fix whatever it wants.

The two start - run cleanup temporary file commands are
1. %temp%
2. prefetch

Then restart and see if you are still having those problems; maybe first repeat the two cleanup commands before and after restart or just after restart if onecare tells you to "restart now"; if any files are stuck in there, that might give you a hint as to what is goofing up your system. Sorry it's so cold up there. I hope you don't lose power or your beautiful trees. Good luck :thumbsup:

Joy
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

#3 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:15 PM

Hi Joy,

Thanks for all the info. :thumbsup: I did clean up all my temporary files and more yesterday using "Disk Cleanup", then Defragging as a normal part of my monthly maintenance. I don't think any of this is related to my query as I've had the boxes pop up at shut down before and after cleanup. I've also ran my arsenal of anti-virus, anti-spyware, you name it, so I should be clean. I may consider one care, we'll see. Thanks again.

Regards,

Eagle7

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:57 PM

How many processes do you have, typically, running at the same time? Having a lot of applications open can certainly at times cause this.
Have you run checkdisk recently?
Have you installed all the MS security patches? Checked for updated drivers?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:06 PM

Eagle,

You only do defrags monthly? Sometimes I run them twice, one right after the other, until I like what the picture looks like. I have a Norton System Works program that shows me the level of disk optimization. I can get it to 99%, do nothing, and a few hours later its down to 95%.

A trick I heard from either MS or Gateway support, run your scan programs in safe mode three times in a row! Sounds like overkill, but I did it with the A/V and A/S pgms; and I came back with a Norton error - finally. The fix was sort of complex, I think it did something to the registry, and it ended gracefully.

When I was having all those problems before the destructive restore, I finally found that the Windows XP installer was not there/not working. I was however getting "update complete" messages. When I restored my machine, about 50 updates came through; but before, my machine only had about 15 (of those KB fixes listed).

I really think this new malware corrupts/compromises important programs like installer, a/s and a/v to give you "all is well" responses. Have you run your cleanup programs in safe mode yet? Make sure they are updated before you shut down (duh, sorry, and when you start back up, it's F8 keep on tapping, until you get the option for safe mode - just a reminder).

Take care, and thanks again for your help. Oh, and if your machine is infected, the online one care scan will probably find stuff at least the first time you run it.

Warm wishes,
Joy

#6 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:04 PM

Hi John,

Let's see, for applications running at the same time, oh, probably 4 tops - my browser (FF), my mail program (Tbird), my dial up connector, and right now I happen to have my Download Manager open. I have a total of 49 processes, but obviously only a few run at the same time. I have my A/V + Firewall and A/S, only one full time 'resident' program running in the background.

I'm going to run check disk now and will report back my findings. Yes, I have downloaded 73 Windows Updates (going back to 04) since the recent Recovery, and yes I have also downloaded all driver and program updates available for my computer.

I'll be back...

Regards,

Eagle7

#7 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

Hi Joy,

Yes, just once monthly on the defrag, and often times the Analyzer tells me I don't even need to, but I usually do anyway. I will go ahead and do another defrag and see if/how that changes things. I'll also run my A/V and A/S programs in Safe Mode to see if I can find anything. Thanks for all your ideas. I'll report back soon.

Regards,

Eagle7

#8 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:23 PM

Don't forget, three times in a row: I came across the e-mail from Webroot that does say that some spies take three runs in safe mode to get ahold of them. Oh, and the only downloaded program I use that ALWAYS finds something is AD-AWARE. It's a freebie: update and run it as well.

Does anybody have experience with "RegCure" or any other registry cleaner? RegCure says I have over 200 registry problems and 200 something else. Since this reload is only about 2 weeks old I hesitate to do that kind of cleaning; plus they want money to actually clean it. Those teasers are such a [female dog]

Eagle, I really think those cleanings and more regular defrags will help your machine. You need to reboot occasionally in between those steps. I know it's a pain, but it seems to be the nature of the XP Beast... Didn't Bill Gates ever hear of KISS? keep it simple st...d for you out of towners :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes. Good luck, and warm wishes

Joy

#9 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

Hi Joy,

Funny you should mention registry cleaners; I was just taking a look at them this afternoon. I came across that RegCure, too. Don't know why, but had an odd feeling about it. I went ahead and downloaded the "Try it free" version of Registry Mechanic, but have not ran it yet. I used to use CCleaner, and I wonder if that is what might've started this whole ball of wax rolling two months ago, possibly deleting something I shouldn't have.

Thanks for the emphasis on the three times, I will run them later when I'm watching some TV. I'll keep ya posted.

Regards,

Eagle7

#10 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:34 PM

Hi John,

I did do the Check Disk and it came back "the volume is clean". Does that answer your questions? Seemed a bit vague to me, but I'm not very familiar with it. Still learning.

Regards,

Eagle7

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,847 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:14 PM

You can really hose your system using registry cleaners. This includes CCleaner. I never 'fix' all the entries these cleaners find. I read through them one by one andonly if I know for certain that it is an entry that needs removal will I remove it. Otherwise, I leave it alone. In addition, I always do a back-up of the entries before deletion so I can restore them in case I goofed.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#12 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:37 AM

Orange Blossom, Thanks for the info. I haven't learned to read the registry yet; but can I assume that if the same program is on there twice, that one of the entries would have to be removed? And if a program was deleted the registry entry should be deleted as well? All I've ever really looked at is is HKEY and non-meaningful characters that follow it. I'm sure I should look at it and try to figure it out.

That brings me back to Eagle's problem with the programs running in the background that have to be shut down manually. I am no expert on services either, no idea why I have 40 of them, but... maybe when you did your restore your program did not delete all necessary programs before reinstalling them? Also, why did you do the reload in the first place? If it was virus or spy, I don't guess you wiped it out 'cause you didn't wipe the disk. I bet its nice to have your data, though (boo hoo for me)

C'mon y'all techies, what's up with services and the registry in 25 words or less? :thumbsup: Shouldn't Eagle's problem have a couple of possible solutions besides clean-up?

Eagle, I do know how to read is my add/remove programs list; and today I did see one program on there twice. I had recently upgraded it; and I did run the program (part of the upgrade program) to remove the old version but didn't check it before I reloaded. Since both files were the same size I just deleted one of them. However, I am not having any phantom programs needing to be shut down manually...

All those boxes are programs running seem to be out of the control of the o/s. You are having to shut them down manually which should only happen when a program crashes or you're shutting down while a background scan is running and .. . maybe something else? If you recognize some of the programs, did you execute them or did they start by themselves? I could only guess that's a multiple install of the same program or some kind of malware.

Weed, I haven't thought of fixdisk since my MS DOS days. Is it different from the system clean up and defrag? Is it run from the start - run box? My win98 machine gets messages from System Mechanic Pro 6 but that program cannot fix the "disk error" it gives me. But it does regularly recover fragmented memory which makes it all good again albeit slower than the new machine as expected.

Click y'all later,
Joy

#13 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:33 AM

See Fozzie's entry at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...showtopic=78367
for a list of instructions on how to clean the machine.

Fozzie also says NOT to clean the prefetch folder. Makes sense...

#14 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:41 AM

I have an old version of Corel Wordperfect that I use. I don't need the Corel Central part of the program, but have not found a way to install it without that feature. So, when I start the machine, the first thing that I do is shut down Corel Central's information manager. When I shut down, it inevitably says that Corel Central did not shut down and gives me the option to shut down now. If I leave it alone, XP will shut it down, or I can click End Now. I'm guessing that it's because the program predates XP and isn't all that compatible. Since it's a minor annoyance, I don't worry about it.

In regard to registry cleaners, you can render your system inoperable very quickly with one of them, and I never recommend cleaning the registry except by reinstalling Windows from scratch, which will give you a squeeky-clean registry (sort of) that isn't missing important parts.

And regarding the same entry in MSconfig - there may be two different files that appear to be the same, or it could signify a problem with installation of whatever shows twice. You could try unchecking one of them in MSconfig and seeing how it works. MSconfig was designed to be a diagnostic tool and was not meant for a handy gadget that will permanently disable specific things. There are other programs that can be used for this, such as Startup Control Panel.

#15 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:52 AM

A few notes as far as Ccleaner is concerned :

Download install and update Ccleaner
After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

If you don't tick the propmpt for backup registry you indeed are up sh... creek, that is why CCleaner built in this option. I have used this program for over 13 months now and it has left my computer crispy clean as far as registry is concerned. Obviously you need to what you are doing before removing any registry items.

Perhaps it would be worth while to write down which services have to be ended ( I assume and not hope all 49?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users