Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aol Phisher Faces Up To 101 Years In Prison

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:57 PM

ZDNet is reporting on a Californian man faces up to 101 years in prison after a jury found him guilty of e-mail scams and other related crimes.Jeffrey Brett Goodin was found guilty of operating a phishing scheme which sent e-mails posing as AOL's billing department in order to scam people into giving up their personal information such as credit card information. For more information read the full story at ZDNet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:01 PM

Its good they caught him and all but 101 years? I mean some people who kill someone can get away with less than 20! Seems like the law needs a adjustment because it seems to be out of tune!

#3 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:48 PM

I remember a couple of years ago there was a guy who got arrested for the worm.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:31 PM

101 years isn't bad at all... in this aspect

You take all the digits in all the credit cards and social security numbers and line them up in order. Multiply by the number of e-mails he has sent. Add his current age. Multiply by the number of times people replied telling him to stop.

Multiply all of the above by the entire time he took him to build the site and finally divide by the his stupid lonely soul. You'll get 101 years (the answer would be in second so you have to divide it out.)

#5 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:57 PM

You bet hackers deserve to go to jail for a long time. Don't you want to find your money in the bank tomorrow? But you are also right that there should be some "punishment fits the crime"; but there's no logic here: Two American National Guardsmen are IN JAIL for shooting (not killing) a couple of drug smugglers illegally crossing the border into the U.S. Guess what happened to the drug smugglers? They're walking around free! Oh, and a grown man who raped a 12 year old girl went to jail for six months, because there was no one in the courtroom to speak for the little girl whose life is ruined forever.

Regular people get drug tested at work, but legislators don't. Teachers go to ethics training, but legislators don't. Entire states have laws against smoking indoors, but the legislators have been able to smoke inside the lobby of the House of Representatives until last month. Yes, we need an infusion of logic.

Did anyone hear about the Mexican Army's armed incursion into Arizona last month (Jan 07)? But Sen. McCain of Arizona does not think we need border protection. The Constitution provides for protection against invasion, 70% of Americans want the Southern border locked down, and there is only one presidential candidate who supports America's sovereignty. Anybody know his name? If not, please see dontvote.com.

:thumbsup:
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:57 PM

The last 2 posts are so typical of how far we have come to seeing a person spend the rest of their life in prison for crimes such as cyber crimes.

The one thing my mother told me about life and that was:
No#1. if you owe any money, the last thing anybody wants to wish on you is:
a. to be sick, in the hospital or such
b. to be out of work... you can't get your money then
c. to be in jail. You'll never get your money if you jail me. Jail is my retribution back to society.

My point is, if you're so clever and so smart, you would be wise enough to:
d. keep the person out of jail, and make him pay restitution for the crime
e. make the person work for free to teach all of you wise people how to protect yourself
f. make the person give seminars and lessons to people on how to protect themselves of crimes he committed
g. make him study cyber crime, since he has the knowledge for it, and teach it to law enforcers

Everyone that is sooooo bent of stiff laws like that, I hope that you never see the day when you're sentenced to 30 years for doing a petty crime. Spam, and all of that crap?.... is just a petty crime. It's not is fault that so many people are sooooo stupid to fall into a trick so easily on the Internet. All of those people need training too. And they need to help pay the restitution back,... wasting the governments money like that. People are that dumbed down.... but a person like that has to pay the brunt of it. And alot of you never talk, nor even wink an eye at how you're being cheated everyday, just by the legal system alone.

101 years is waaaayyyyyy too much time for someone to spend in prison for a cyber crime, but yet and still, convicted murderers spend only a few years, at tops,, and back on the streets again, just to kill again.

Do you see something wrong with this picture? I do. I'm smarter than alot of you as to how to win a prize. You'll go for the maximum penalty to jail a person, whereas I would want the person to be able to pay me back. And he's not paying me back by rotting in prison. Alot of you are just as gullable as the victims. You got taken, and now you want the person to spend the rest of his life in prison.

If a person could get 20 years for stealing your trash can from your yard, you'd be glad for that too. Me?... I'd ask to have my trash can returned or replaced. But the 2 last posters above?.... I'd hate to cross paths with you. That's just too harsh to even think that a person deserves that kind of a sentence. Too harsh.

On an ending note: I'd bet you'd be the first person to give someone 50+ years, just for downloading a movie from the internet, instead of just making him pay for it. But attitudes like the posts I've read, those are the real tax payers problems, because the way you think, you do nothing but create more taxes on people. All that money he must have taken, all those emails sent.... guess what?... You're gonna pay for it, and you're gonna pay for him to be housed for the rest of his life.

So,,,.... who really won?

Edited by Walkman, 13 February 2007 - 12:03 AM.

#7 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:57 AM

You know what, Walkman? You are absolutely right! It is absolutely insane to house AND pay prisoners to be in jail. America has more people in jail per capita than anyother country. But how do you fix a country that spends $40 billion in a foreign and ungrateful nation while we let New Orleans sink back into the sea.

Instead of paying attention to 500 economists who say legalize cannabis and tax it: the windfall would pay for all kinds of stuff we need. You are right. I have been dumbed down: jail doesn't help anybody. But what do you do with truly insane barbarians? When I was 12, I wanted to know why we did not require people with children on welfare to be sterilized? We are now respecting a "Religion" that teaches that "non-believers" should be murdered? The answer is always "Freedom". I believe our Country's forefathers must be spinning in their graves seeing how the Melting Pot got broken and is regularly stomped on by invaders whom our legislators call "undocumented" rather than "illegal".

You are seeking logic. Me too. I always thought that by now (I was in college in the sixties) pot would be legalized and there would be windmills and solar panels (or transporters and replicators) everywhere. Thanks for getting me back on track. You are so right about restitution. I taught one college class on HTML and the assignment was to make a website with their resumes. These were kids in art school. The subject of Metallica suing Napster came up. The kids all hated Metallica for doing this. I asked them how they would make a living if their art was copied and given away: where would their income come from? Why would Metallica continue to publish songs? (We all loved Metallica music). I am not sure I got through to them. And believe me, I tried. They hadn't even considered that they were artists - and could be in the same boat!

And I do wish the geniuses who hack computers would invent good things and teach. After spending $20 billion on a computer system to manage passports and travelers, we still don't have one working. But young people seem to have no sense of cause and effect (you would think the techies would know the "if-then-else" concept), or respect for other people's property. They see the corruption in government, and just don't have hope for their futures.

Do you want to run for office?
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

#8 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:56 PM

Actually I wasn't serious about my post. I was just cracking a joke.

Actually I do think out system of laws needs to be updated. Prime example:

If you pirate software, you can now serve up to 10 years in prison, however if you hit a cop only 7 and if you molest a child only 5 years....

So which is worse?

Edited by yano, 14 February 2007 - 01:57 PM.

#9 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:32 PM

i think its a little too harsh, i mean theres rapists out there who dont get that long and they are the worst. Not all hackers are really bad, i mean theres the whole , Black Hat, Grey Hat, White Hat thing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users