Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can My Hdd Be Saved?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:52 PM

:thumbsup: I have a 3 year old Acer Aspire laptop which was shipped with a 20GB Tosh hdd partitioned into 3. C:drive was 8GB, D:drive 9GB and E:drive 3GB. The latter drive held the Acer Tech info which I think was related to the 3 recovery CDs which came with the computer. It had XP home pre-installed, I did not receive the full XP CD with the computer.

I found the size of the hdd impractical and recently purchased a 100GB Tosh hdd intending to use the 20 GB drive as an external drive in its new caddy, I also purchased the full XP home OS to install on my shiny new hdd. I replaced the 20GB drive with the 100GB one, formatted and partitioned it with the XP CD and it runs just fine. Next I replaced the 100GB drive with the 20GB one and endeavoured to re-format this also with XP. It seems XP did its usual checks didn't like what it saw and backed off. I am not sure what the message was exactly but I think it couldn't access the drive. I then tried a third party prog to format the drive and managed to get the format done, however I couldn't install windows so I tried a surface scan and got the message above. I then went back to the Acer recovery CDs and tried those although I did not want 3 partitions or an OS on the hdd. I hoped that if I got the drive back to factory condition, I could remove the partitions and OS later. The first Recovery CD warned me that the program would remove all data and that the program was only suitable for Acer systems and could not be used for any other system. I let it run anyway and after 7 hours got the message "error #49 write fault. I gave up the unequal task at this point none the wiser.

Sorry for the convolutied questions but could anyone advise me what, if anything I can do to put matters right or is my original hdd beyond rescue? I had no trouble with this hdd before this, ran Norton on my system but wonder if I had a virus? What causes a hdd to go haywire? I have been very careful when handling both of these hdds.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:31 AM

Unless the hdd has bad sectors I would use a program like kill disk or wipe drive to wipe the drive and start clean.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:36 AM

What is the make and type nr of the 20G HDD. You might want to consider to utilise manufacterers utilities specially made for that

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:15 AM

It is possible that the Laptop recovery is not compaterble with the new HDD. As the drivers for disks are pre packaged in the recovery this could stop it from being able to use a different type drive.

You could do a full reinstall on the formatted drive as you said you have a full version of XP. This should stop the driver problems but you will need to download the specific drivers for the acer machine from the web to get the full functionality back.

KILLDISK is a great product and I use it very often. This is a great way of preping a HDD ready for a install.

If you are getting a bad sector error this could be a error on the new drive but you will need to confirm this by using a program such as HD Tune. This will run from either a Boot CD (Ultimate Boot CD Ver 4) or under the instaled version of XP.
Posted Image

#5 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:14 AM

Many thanks for the suggestions.

dc3: I do not know if the error message relates to a bad sector, if it does can I use kill disk or wipe drive, or do I have to correct it with chkdsk/r?

fozzie: The original 20GB hdd is a Toshiba MK2023GAS EIDE-100. This was replaced with another Tosh 100GB MK1032GAX. I partitioned and formatted this hdd using my XP CD without any problems, installed the missing video and sound drivers from the Acer CD and this is the drive I am using now. The problem arose when I tried to format and remove Acer's setup as XP wouldn't touch it. It might be worth my trying to get Toshiba utilities to sort it out though.

projectfocus: I formatted the new 100GB in my laptop using XP - no problems. I looked in the first recovery CD for the missing audio and video drivers and installed them, I have left out Acer's CD burning program for the moment. I had previously formatted and partitioned a new desktop hdd using DOS which I use as an external drive. It seemed such a simple procedure until Acer got in the way.

Is "kill disk" or "wipe disk" downloadable?

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

#6 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:56 AM

Download Killdisk from here.

Install the program and create the floppy

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm
Posted Image

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:09 PM

Does the BIOS support hard drives that large? If it's an earlier model it may not be able to - although there may be a BIOS update that'll fix the issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:36 PM

Reply to John
The possibility of the BIOS not accepting the larger hdd did occur to me but as the Acer is only 3 years old and they are shipped with larger than the 20GB hdd which I foolishly opted for originally, I expected that I could get away with 80GB or 100GB. The BIOS does recognise the new hdd and gives the correct info : Toshiba MK1032GAX.

I will report back when/if I get the 20GB hdd sorted out. Just need to get the spare time to deal with it.

Thanks for helping me.

#9 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:28 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question and offered solutions. I have just got round to having another attempt to format and set up my 20GB hdd and this time I succeeded.

I booted up with the 20GB drive in the computer and KillDisk in the floppy drive. I was not sure if this had worked as it seemed to be very quick. I rebooted with a DOS floppy boot disk and ran Fdisk which allowed me to set up the drive as one partition before activating it.

Not really believing my luck, I removed the 20GB hdd and connected it into its caddy and replaced the 100GB hdd in the laptop. I plugged the 20GB into the USB and there it was. Although I thought I had already formatted the drive, I got a message that it would need formatting in order to use it. I ran the format and now I have just what I wanted - a spare external drive. I do not know what the error message which caused all these problems meant which made me think my drive was terminal, but whatever it was it seems to have disappeared - KillDisk maybe?

Once again thanks to everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users