Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie 7 And Firefox Freezing

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SarasotaHuskie

SarasotaHuskie

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:30 AM

Started having problems yesterday both IE 7 and Firefox 2.0.0.1. They freeze up and I have
to shut them down using Task Manager. The IE gives a Buffer Overrun Detected message when
shutting down. The problem is intermittent. Am using PC Tools AntiVirus(found nothing), Spyware Doctor, and Zone Alarm. On a new Dell running XP.

Does anybody have any words of wisdom?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ohfer

ohfer

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:14 PM

I have noticed that IE7 is slower than the old IE6 I was running. I went ahead and dowlnloaed it as part of my recommended updates, now I wish I hadn't? I wonder if there is any way I can retrieve my old version 6 instead of using my version 7?
Thanks, Tom.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:57 AM

You can revert back to IE6 by simply removing IE7 in the Add or Remove Programs section of the Control Panel. You may need to click Show Updates.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:30 AM

I have noticed that IE7 is slower than the old IE6 I was running. I went ahead and dowlnloaed it as part of my recommended updates, now I wish I hadn't? I wonder if there is any way I can retrieve my old version 6 instead of using my version 7?
Thanks, Tom.

What is the version of your Java software since now version 6 is out?

#5 SarasotaHuskie

SarasotaHuskie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:53 AM

Thanks, Tom.

What is the version of your Java software since now version 6 is out?

I don't know if this applies to my problem, but my Java is:
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6 Version 1.5.0.60

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:05 AM

Get Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 here (4th one down the page).

I would recommend uninstalling any old versions before installing version 6.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 SarasotaHuskie

SarasotaHuskie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:08 PM

The new Java didn't work for me. The problem is screwing up Outlook also.

So, IE7, Firefox & Firefox2, and Outlook are all being affected.

BTW my machine has an AMD Athlon 3800+ and I'm getting a Buffer Overrun on PC Tools Antivirus also.

Any help???

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:12 AM

All this seems to indicate a problem with your network connection (IE, FF, Outlook, etc). How do you connect to the web?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 SarasotaHuskie

SarasotaHuskie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:59 PM

All this seems to indicate a problem with your network connection (IE, FF, Outlook, etc). How do you connect to the web?

It is a DSL hooked to a Windows 2000 LAN. But the connection bypasses the LAN.
I'm hardwired to a Linksys wireless router that hooks to a switch. The switch is also
hooked to the DSL modem. The connection worked fine for weeks.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

What are you using to manage your network connection? Is it something like the AT&T/Yahoo software - or did you make a manual connection?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 SarasotaHuskie

SarasotaHuskie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:46 AM

What are you using to manage your network connection? Is it something like the AT&T/Yahoo software - or did you make a manual connection?

It's a manual connection using DHCP to assign the IP address.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:17 AM

Have you tried deleting your Network connection and re-creating it?

Have you re-run the Network setup wizard?

Have you tried updating the drivers for your network adapter?

#13 SarasotaHuskie

SarasotaHuskie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:09 AM

Actually, I just uninstalled IE 7. Now IE 6 and Outlook seem to be running OK.
Firefox too. Apparently IE 7 was the problem.

#14 SarasotaHuskie

SarasotaHuskie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:00 PM

Actually, I just uninstalled IE 7. Now IE 6 and Outlook seem to be running OK.
Firefox too. Apparently IE 7 was the problem.

Forget the previous post. I restarted and am getting buffer overruns on both IE6 and Firefox.

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:36 AM

Buffer overrun errors are often caused by malware infections. I would recommend you scan your system throughly. Download, install and scan with the following:

Ad-Aware
Spybot
SuperAntiSpyware

Then do an online scan with Housecall.

If all that comes up clean we need to look elsewhere.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users