Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Display Properties Windows Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 scotty38

scotty38

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:26 AM

Hi i will try to describe this problem the best way i can.

When i right click my desktop (empty space) and select properties nothing happens also tried control panel double click display still nothing, hope this makes sense.

Windows XP Pro SP2
AMD Athlon™ 64X2 Dual core
3800+ Processor 2.00 GHz
1GB Ram
ASUS M2NPV-MX Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 on board
All windows updates instaled

My pc is running ok as far as i can tell but its just annoying that i cant get to my display properties as i would like to see the settings.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help

Scotty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:08 AM

WARNING:
This is a registry edit. If you're not comfortable with working in the registry, DO NOT ATTEMPT.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry

You can try this:
kellys-korner
Restore Right Click Properties - #203, on the Right
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:59 AM

ERUNT is an excellent registry backup program. I use it weekly on all of my computers.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 scotty38

scotty38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for the replys i will read up on backing up the registry and decide if i realy want to do it as i have no clue about messing with the registry.

Thanks

Scotty

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:01 PM

Try going to Start...Run...and type in "desk.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Does this work? Is the desk.cpl file present in your C:\WINDOWS\system32 sub-directory?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 scotty38

scotty38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:39 AM

Try going to Start...Run...and type in "desk.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Does this work? Is the desk.cpl file present in your C:\WINDOWS\system32 sub-directory?

Yes to both i have now got the display properties when i right click but no options in there only thing i can change is the theme drop down menu no other options available

Any idea why there are no options to change screen resolution etc?

Scotty

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:45 AM

I've seen something like this before....unable to right click on the desk top, and there were no desktop icons either! :flowers: Come to find out that the computer was over run with spyware/malware. A harsh (and tough) cleaning fixed it.

If you think this might be the cause of your problems, you can follow these instructions HERE. From there, you'll post a HiJack This (HJT) log and some one will help you with it.

On the flip side, if you don't think that your computer has malware on it (100% sure it's clean), then continue to work with tg1911, acklan and usasma, as they're all extremely knowledgeable! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 scotty38

scotty38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:17 AM

I've seen something like this before....unable to right click on the desk top, and there were no desktop icons either! :flowers: Come to find out that the computer was over run with spyware/malware. A harsh (and tough) cleaning fixed it.

If you think this might be the cause of your problems, you can follow these instructions HERE. From there, you'll post a HiJack This (HJT) log and some one will help you with it.

On the flip side, if you don't think that your computer has malware on it (100% sure it's clean), then continue to work with tg1911, acklan and usasma, as they're all extremely knowledgeable! :thumbsup:

I am 99% sure i have no spyware/malware on my system would not say 100% as you never know but i have ran all programs in the link you sent me along with 2 HiJak this logs one recently came up clean in my other post on BC.

My right click is working on the desk top now its just not as it should be as i have no way of changing display settings ETC will wait and see if anyone else can think of why i have this problem.

Thanks for trying.

Scotty

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:07 AM

Try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 scotty38

scotty38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:05 PM

Try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Tried SCF.EXE it needed the xp disc after it finished i still have no options to change any settings only thing i can change is the "Theme" in "Display Properties" no other options available i have run "Windows Update" only update was for "Windows Defender" There are 3 optional updates 2 for adjusting the time something to do with australia and 1 for windows media player 11 i have not installed the optional updates yet as i cant decide if i need them or not.

Thanks for trying

Scotty

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:22 PM

As a last resort you might want to try a repair install of XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users