Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IMB laptop battery problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cutiedez

cutiedez

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 01 January 2005 - 02:06 PM

:thumbsup: I was just wondering, I have an IBM think pad lap top running on Windows 98. I have purchased 2 batteries now and now the 2nd one that I have only works periodically. Sometimes it'll charge fast and then last quite a while, however other times it will not charge at all, yet my computer is plugged in most of the time anyways. And then on other occasions it will charge and then loose it all and won't recharge for some time. I was just wondering if you knew what was going on and if there was something that I need to do or am doing by accident that is preventing my battery from charging. Are there specific settings that it needs to be on? So far I have not noticed a pattern... See what you can do and if you need anymore information about my computer just ask, thanks in advance for your help
-Dez

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 01 January 2005 - 07:31 PM

Sounds like a hardware issue. The battery could be defective. Can you brintg it back to be replaced?

#3 cutiedez

cutiedez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 01:01 AM

as far as i know it cannot. i have had it for a couple of months, and did buy it off Ebay. The thing that gets me though is that it works sometimes, and then not others. for example, yesterday morning it was at 100% and then by the nite(being plugged in all day and never unplugged) it was at zero and has been there ever since.. is there a setting that i could change perhaps? silly tempermental computers :thumbsup:

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 06:17 PM

No i dont think its a setting. When a laptop charges there is usually a led indicator indicating so. Next time it does not charge, see if that indiciator is off. If it is, wiggle the pwoer cable and see if that turns it on. Unplug it, and plug it back in. It also could be a bad contact on the battery so that if its not touching the contacts inside the laptop a certain way its not getting the power

#5 cutiedez

cutiedez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:40 PM

hmm, i dont understand the "led" part of your comment, however it is now working :thumbsup: all i did was change a setting (from "home/office desk" to "always on") however i'm not even sure if that made the difference, and the power cord, should be working because i had recently purchased a new one as well...can i clean(or should i) the contacts of the batter or where it contacts the computer? and how or with what? alcohol??
thanks again!
-dez

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 09:01 AM

Cotton swab and alcohol should be good. I am not sure why the always on setting would fix the charging, but lets not argue :thumbsup:

#7 cutiedez

cutiedez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 05:45 PM

maybe it doesn't fix it, and maybe at that exact time, something changed about my computer and made it work... man, confusing things.. someone told me that i could be the conections and stuff... but oh well... hopefully eventually i'll find something that i can change that will always work. i did a defragmenter the other day and then it fully charged, but hasn't rechanged since then...
not sure if that makes a differentce either..
well thanks for your help and imput though
:thumbsup:
-dez

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users