Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Duby

Duby

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:33 AM

Hello,

I am having difficulty with Starware added software on a Windows 98 operating system at work. I have identified and deleted files that were created, but I still have the registry problems to work out. I plan to use Lavasoft Ad-Aware tomorrow. I was wondering if it will automatically fix the registry problems? Do I need to do more?

What do I need to do to get into the registry and what corrections do I need to make? If Ad-Aware is good enough then that is great. You guys have been awesome in the past. Thanks for your help again!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:12 AM

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Udates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
* There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
* When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs tab.
* Click the dated log and press View log. A text file will appear so you can see the results.
* Select close to exit the program.

Download install and update Ccleaner
After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

#3 Duby

Duby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:37 AM

Fozzie,

You are awesome! And this website is awesome! I am impressed by the knowledge and help I have received in both of my posts. I wish that help and customer focus were the same for other things.

I got everything running. I was wondering if you had any suggestions on computer speed, and how to clean things up so that it is optimized?

Thanks and God Bless,
Duby

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:58 AM

Check out this topic:
Slow Computer?, Use this troubleshooting checklist
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users