Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Someday Perhaps No Drunk Drivers ...

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:45 PM

Granted, the 'skin sensor system' which is built directly into steering wheels are still not perfected but once the kinks are worked out, hopefully all vehicle steering wheels will have these in place.

And perhaps once and for all, the massive death/destruction toll from drunk drivers will finally end.

http://www.mytelus.com/news/article.do?pag...ticleID=2513702
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:49 AM

A big thing we need to do is be HARDER on people busted for DWI or DUI. I know one of the people related to my girlfriend that has been busted for DUI 3 times, and still has the ability to drive.

I'm all for revoking the license for, say 5-10 years of anyone caught driving while under the influence.

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:24 AM

Any new device to reduce the death toll is a great idea in my opinion.Here,the first DUI offense carries 3months loss of licence and 1000 dollar fine.Absolutely stupid deterent,and they can continue driving till the court case is heard which can take 1 to 2 yrs with adjournments.As HM says 5-10 may make them think twice about endangering other peoples lives.A lot are caught the second time while still disqualified and the same procudure with the courts starts all over again.The Police now have machines which detect if the driver is on drugs,but can't be implimented because not enough Police for roadside tests.When the Government gets serious,we may see a drop in the shocking road toll.

#4 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:25 AM

You've sure got that right, Heretic Monkey! :thumbsup:

I agree completely with your words, "I'm all for revoking the license for, say 5-10 years of anyone caught driving while under the influence". - in fact, I'm all for adding if you cause bodily harm, the full sentence is not only enforced with no chance of probation but you vehicle is confiscated - permanently.

Even with stronger laws, it has always seemed very odd that often, as you mentioned, repeat offenders get, at most, a slap on the wrist and are permitted to keep driving. Where is the justice in this, I wonder?

Years ago, one case really stuck in my mind - an 18 year old was driving a sports car with the top down and 4 teenage girls crammed into it. He was drinking. He crashed and 3 girls died instantly. The 4th girl was forever a 'quad'. He gets to pay 40 percent of every single dollar he earns in his entire lifetime to the support of this girl. People said it was cruel and unjust.

But only a few years ago, two young guys were drag racing a couple blocks from where we lived - one plowed into the rear end of a car containing a young mother. Her car exploded and people got to watch and hear her extruciating screams for help as the flames devoured her. One boy got a suspended sentence - if I remember correctly, the one that killed the woman got 3 months or something and community service. After all, these 'boys' were just teenagers, right? Huge huge sigh.

And you're right, DSTM - the death toll in nearly all countries is truly shocking! Try not to laugh too hard when I confess that as each of our girls would leave on a first day with a boy, I'd gently and politely - and with a smile on my face - tell him, "If you drink and drive and kill our child, I assure you you'll never made it to Court". Didn't seem to deter the boys from dating our girls but apparently it sure deterred them from even thinking of drinking ans driving on the dates! (Won't tell you how embarrassing it was for the girls, though - hoot!).

Edited by MaraM, 17 January 2007 - 02:29 AM.

Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:51 AM

There is obvioulsy no no discussion on what to do with people caught whilst driving drunk. In my country yearly 150 death and 300 wounded are caused by these accidents. I have told my boys that they would need crutches for a great part of their lives if I would ever find out that they were driving their bikes or later motorcycles or cars drunk. Overhere we have the possibility to send youngsters , as from 15, to an afternoon where they can see the consequences of such acts, including talking to people who have caused severe accidents.

#6 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:46 AM

What a great option, fozzie, to be able to take youngsters to speak with people who have caused severe accidents! And it's great that you've taken a firm hand in convincing your sons that driving drunk will get them not just repercussions from the law from from you!! Yipee!

A friend who is a Police Officer dragged his teenage son down to the car insurance 'dumping grounds' where all vehicles in major accidents are kept - he got his driver's licence that day, on his 16th birthday, but only after he saw first-hand what cars look like after people go through windshields and/or are crushed etc. (The son is now 24 and has never even got a speeding ticket - gentle grin!).

#7 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:51 AM

Taken from a newspaper article here in Holland

Two boys were killed and 1 girl severly injured during what appears to be a streetracing incident. The coroner established that the boy was driving drank the equivalent of 1,5 bottle of whiskey!!!!!

I showed this to my sons and I promised them I would pursue them to the gates of hell if they would even think about joining in these events which become more and more a daily routine overhere...

#8 rsd79

rsd79

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:41 AM

Those are some great ideas, to convince my children not to drink and drive, when they are learning to drive. I also am in favour of less deaths caused by drunk-drivers. Although, I disagree that this problem will be eliminated entirely in the future. There will always be those who will think they are invincible, while employing huge egos. An example would be high school kids, who have to impress each other. We have to know our limits that is something we fail to do as human beings. Plus it is human nature, for us to go beyond our limits, in any facet of life (driving while under influence included).

When I was in high school, I do remember driving home a couple of times, when I had 2-3 glasses of alcohol. I was able to handle it and drive at basically the same awareness while sober; however, I was much more careful after consuming the alcohol. But I never drove a car when I was totally hammered. Obviously, now I have learnt my lesson. Now I barely ever consume alcohol (once a year), even though I go to University.

I doubt the effectiveness of this device. It is even mentioned in the article that people could wear gloves to get around it. Whatever the new technology is that stops drunk drivers, I hope it is not super expensive. I don't want to have to pay for something I probably won't use. On the other hand, I think our governments would regulate it, which I would support.

Thanks for the link, MaraM.
Dustin Penner is the new Jaromir Jagr.

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:41 PM

I was on a fishing boat that went deep sea fishing.
These people drank so much they could not even walk. They each drank at least 5 beers on the way home. About a 2 hour ride. Think of how many they had to drink all day out there. A group of about 8 or so were doing it. As soon as the beer was gone down one or two went and came back with 4 or 5 more.

They were so so drunk. Guess what? They had to "designated" driver. They all drank. And they all got in a car and DROVE home drunk.

What can be done about this? Stricter laws for sure. And more police in places like that where they KNOW there will be drunks that drive. More tickets is more money for them and less people dying each year because of these idiots who drink and drive.

#10 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:34 PM

Yes, I suspect it's just a dream that there will one day be no drunk drivers - huge sad sigh.

But I too often wondered about why Police Officers don't sit a block away from the neighbourhood Pub at closing time for instance - surely that would help stop the DWIs before they do harm. But apparently there is some law that prevents them from doing so. Mind boggling, if true, as why should drunks have more rights than innocents, I wonder?

And drinking while driving a boat should be (and is, I think) just as illegal as driving one's car - glad you got home safely from that fishing trip, CGM! Think we need more parents like fozzie and rsd79! :thumbsup:

Re: "The coroner established that the boy driving drank the equivalent of 1,5 bottle of whiskey!!!!!" - cripes, if the accident didn't stop him alchohol poisoning surely would have! (I'm always amazed teenagers survive to adulthood - myself included of course, as 'dumb' was as normal as breathing when it came to making wise decisions then - grin!).

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:07 PM

No no the drivers of the boat were not drinking. It was a fishing tour like where you pay 85 bucks and they take a bunch of people out and go fishing.

The people on board were drunk. These few I am talking about were worse than anything I have ever seen. Most of the other people only drank like 1 or 2 all day so.

We dont drink any. Nasty junk anyways. Smells like dirty shoes.

#12 rsd79

rsd79

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:12 PM

Those are some great ideas, to convince my future children not to drink and drive, when they are learning to drive...

I just wanted to clear that up since I don't want people thinking I am a 20 year-old parent attending University. Imagine the stress! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliment anyway,

MaraM. :flowers:

#13 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for clearing that up, rsd79 - yup, I misunderstood and a huge duh to me! :thumbsup:

#14 rsd79

rsd79

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:02 PM

I am the one who did not proof-read my message so I think I deserve the majority of the "Duh".

#15 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:21 PM

I think there is more than enough "duh" to go around for everyone:) Enjoy
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users