Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound After A Destructive Restore Of O/s

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:23 PM

Hello,

The loss of my Windows XP installer meant I wasn't getting updates; MS advised to restore my OS, but the OEM software only offers a a destructive restore. I have a virtual D: drive holding the OS as FAT32 with the C: drive as NFTS. The speakers are built into the monitor and no, the mute button is not on. :flowers:

I went through all the windows help wizards. Also, sometimes when I am typing, the letters do not appear until a few seconds later. I have more than a gig of RAM, keep the machine defragged and scanned.

Is there any good reason to have Real Player on an XP machine? WinXP comes with its own media players; and I got Nero w/ InCD with my DVD burner. After I reloaded my machine, I have 3 "sound" entries under system - hardware display, but do not recognize which should be there. Real player is there, along with a legacy driver (maybe for my microphone?) which also acts like its recording.

When I play a .wav file, the player shows sound on the display, and also acts like it is playing the file. But I hear nothing. No system noises either. It's too quiet in here.

Any ideas out there please? :thumbsup: Thank you...
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:07 PM

Hi joygreen,

I just had to do a Full System Recovery, but my computer also has a NON destructive recovery built into the D: partition. I'm using an HP Compaq, what are you using? Hard to believe that you wouldn't have access to a non destructive way of recovering. Someone else well have to answer your other queries, but I was hoping to help you get going on this part.

Regards. Eagle7

P.S. Have you checked your manufacturers website for their support info? For instance, when I go to HP's site, I can find about anything I need to know, even the whole users manual is there. There should be some info under "Recovery, or non-destructive recovery or recovery options", something like that plugged into the Search field. Just trying to give you additional help until others arrive on the scene.

Edited by Eagle7, 17 January 2007 - 02:11 PM.

#3 joygreen

joygreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:25 PM

Hi Eagle7, nice to meet you. I am using an e-machine; gateway is contracted for support, but every option they ever gave me would destroy my data. And now my backup DVD got wrecked. Maybe I should try to do another kind of restore, now that I have all the windows files back on the machine, and should have the chance to reset the sound. Thank you so much for your response and your idea. [I used to write end-user instructions and so I seldom read them which is probably why I am in trouble.]

Thanks again for the help :thumbsup:

Joy

#4 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:11 PM

Hi Joy,

Here's something that might work for you:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Desktops/8510406.pdf

I Googled "non destructive recovery for emachines" and several sites came up. I chose this one in particular as it is straight from the Gateway manuals. Hope this will apply to your machine and will help to get you back on the road soon. I did read it, looks about right to me. Best of luck to you!

Regards,

Eagle7

#5 joygreen

joygreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:39 PM

Hello again, Eagle. Thank you for the research. I saved it to favorites.

I hate to admit this, but I didn't plug my speakers back in :thumbsup: Working fine now.

It was kind of interesting to read the topics in that link you sent me. MS thought I had serious virus/spy problems. Gateway (who supports e-machines) always advised me to do the destructive restores to wipe out the malware/etc. The first time I did it, they forgot to tell me about losing my outlook express messages, address book and favorites. I lost a lot of stuff. I still have my backup disks, and will research each file type to get the stuff reloaded. Then I'll do a backup online with my ISP, although I don't like having personal stuff "out there" but anymore, I'm not sure anything is private.

I wonder if that's what happened to your machine?

I just typed that whole sentence and it took a couple of seconds for it to appear on the screen. What's that all about? Is that what "keyloggers" do? I was really careful when I did my reload to stay offline until everything was ready to go. I'm going to read your post to see what's going on with you. Thanks again for the time you took to find that info for me.

Best regards,
Joy.

#6 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:56 PM

Hi Joy,

First of all, please accept my apology for the delay in answering your post. Had a lot going on. Anyway, I do find it a bit humorous, the kind where I'm laughing WITH you, when you said you hadn't plugged in your speaker wire yet. I'm still a little sore at myself for doing the same thing recently!

Tell ya what tho, I'm echoing your sentiments about how different folks think different things are wrong with our computers. Hands down, I've found the BEST advice here, not the manufacturer, not the ISP, etc., etc. I'm sure you know what I mean. In my experience, the above are too quick to either blame the other, or think it MUST be spyware. Too often when I call HP, all they want to do is have me "optimize my computer", which loosely means undo everything I've done to make it work to my satisfaction. Argh! My only saving grace is this site, the wonderful wise folks that help us out (you included), and keeping notes for 'next time'.

As far as your question about your words appearing a bit after you type them, I've seen other complaints about that somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can remember where. It might've been on the Mozilla Firefox forum. What browser are you using? Have you tried Googling this or anything? I'm sure someone, probably hear will have an answer for you. Hang in there.

Regards,

Eagle7

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:57 PM

Great link Eagle7!

Generally, the "delay" in typing is caused by a resource issue. Resources can be many things - but just think of them as the different things that can slow your system down if they're overloaded.

In this case there's something occupying the system while you're typing - so it takes a while for the words to appear. This can be other software or hardware that's competing for the resources.

This could be a keylogger - but it's doubtful that it is. Keyloggers rely on stealth not to be detected - so this would be a pretty lousy one if it was.

Most commonly the cause is a corrupted program that's not doing what it's supposed to do. It may not be your browser - but that's the first place to start looking. I presume that you're using Internet Explorer as your browser. If you're using version 7 of it, try removing it (you'll downgrade to version 6 when you do it) - or try the free Mozilla Firefox program to see if the problem goes away (link to Firefox: http://www.mozilla.com/ )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 joygreen

joygreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:46 PM

Thanks, John. I was wanting to remove IE6 (I won't go to 7 until it's been tested by somebody else: nobody's paying me to test it for them :trumpet: ) and was wondering what would happen without a browser! I guess I forgot all about netscape; but I will try your idea. Load Firefox; remove IE6; then do scans and stuff in safe mode; then reload IE6. Right?

I knew admitting the speakers weren't plugged in would provide some laughs. This is the first monitor I've had with built in speakers and since the monitor was working, I didn't pay attention to that little green RCA jack. ha ha on me!

Thanks again, everyone :thumbsup: :flowers:

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:25 AM

Another Tech and I spent about an hour on a PC yesterday - wondering how it could run one of our diagnostic CD's when it wasn't even in the drive (we'd left it there when the customer took the computer home last time).

After an hour another tech came over and suggested that we check the KVM switch that we use. Sure enough, we had the wrong computer on the KVM! We were embarrassed (and it resulted in everyone telling stories like this!)

Another time, I was on an airplane sitting next to another "geek" - we were trying to make the touchpad on a stewardess' laptop work. As the aircraft made it's descent to landing we finally solved the 3 hour old problem - just turn the switch on that enabled the touchpad!

Finally, a few weeks back, I troubleshot the heck out of a computer that wouldn't power up. Ripped everything out, reinstalled everything and still no power! Then another tech walked up and turned the switch on the back of the PSU from "Off" to "On"!

This happens to everyone - so don't sweat it!

FWIW - you can't uninstall IE6, it's a part of the Windows OS. But, you'll also need it to download Windows Updates - so just leave it where it is and it'll be fine. Use Firefox for everyday browsing and IE to visit Windows Update.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 joygreen

joygreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:40 PM

Which browser should I make default? Windows or Firefox? I'm set to receive automatic updates, but I usually get them myself when I update everything.

How do I fix the explorer installation? Recall the slow typing... it was suggested maybe explorer was sick. But I'm using IE6.

I ran a Hijack this report last night just to see what it would do. I saw another recent one that was posted; and the user had a bunch of trusted sites in his/her list that didn't look so trustworthy to me. I was trying to respond, but got my clickers slapped... I understand.

Does HT actually do some repairs on its own? I never know what to do with log reports from a/v and a/s software. They always say the PC is clean, but I do see warnings posted on logs. The PC is running ok except for sometimes slow typing, but I know that doesn't mean anything, right? The only thing I would care about is being able to do online transactions. I don't just to be careful, but what's technology for?

Those were cute stories about the switches and plugs. One time I wrote a very important message (at work long long ago) and couldn't find it on an almost clean desktop. I was frantic, looking everywhere for it. On my knees under my desk and everything. When I finally sat back down, I turned over a piece of paper that had a memo on it, and woo-hoo there was my note, written on the back of the memo....

Thanks again for your help.
:thumbsup: :flowers: :inlove: :cool: :) :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users