Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 peachechampagne

peachechampagne

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:06 PM

all of a sudden my computer decided not to wake up. when i reboot, i get a blue screen and it says unmountable boot volume. what does that mean? i rebooted and it did it again. it had been a little slow but otherwise working fine lately. it says that if it contines to do this, to remove any newly installed software - but there isnt any! i havent installed anything for at least a few weeks!! help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:35 AM

Have you tried a Restore Point?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:15 AM

Here is some reading material.

#4 peachechampagne

peachechampagne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:48 AM

Here is some reading material.

thanks....i'll try that

#5 peachechampagne

peachechampagne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:50 AM

Have you tried a Restore Point?

yes...i think we are referring to the same thing. trying to restore the computer to the last place where it was working fine? if so, i tried that already

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:08 AM

If you tried the "Last Known Good Configuratin.." in the boot menu, that was not what I was referring to, but it's nice to know you tried it.
I was referring to Start> Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:13 AM

Never mind System Restore. This ciould be cause by a bad cable or corrupted boot.in. Follow the procedures from Microsoft.

Unmountable Boot Volume

"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message When You Restart Your Computer or Upgrade to Windows XP

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:38 PM

Here is an idea to try to repair your computer. It requires 2 things, 1) your original XP disk, and 2) your computer needs to be set up to boot from the CD drive before the hard drive. If you have problems with either one of those two let us know. Here is the repair:
  • Put your original XP cd into the cd drive start the computer.
  • If you see "Press any key to boot from the cd...." by all means press a key as we want to boot from the cd!
  • After loading some things the process will stop and you will be presented the opportunity to press the R key to start up the Repair Console.
  • Eventually you will get a DOS prompt. When you do, type chkdsk /p and press Enter. (Note that there is a space between the k and the /.)
  • When that completes you will be given the DOS prompt again. This time type fixboot and press Enter. (it may also be necessary to press Y and Enter if prompted).
  • When this process is complete, type Exit and press Enter.
As your computer is starting up, remove the cd from the cd drive and allow it to start up from the hard drive like normal. Hopefully all will be well.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:04 AM

Try downloading the free diagnostic tools at the manufacturer of your hard drive's website. This'll tell you if the problem is with your hard drive or other components.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users