Here is an idea to try to repair your computer. It requires 2 things, 1) your original XP disk, and 2) your computer needs to be set up to boot from the CD drive before the hard drive. If you have problems with either one of those two let us know. Here is the repair:
- Put your original XP cd into the cd drive start the computer.
- If you see "Press any key to boot from the cd...." by all means press a key as we want to boot from the cd!
- After loading some things the process will stop and you will be presented the opportunity to press the R key to start up the Repair Console.
- Eventually you will get a DOS prompt. When you do, type chkdsk /p and press Enter. (Note that there is a space between the k and the /.)
- When that completes you will be given the DOS prompt again. This time type fixboot and press Enter. (it may also be necessary to press Y and Enter if prompted).
- When this process is complete, type Exit and press Enter.
As your computer is starting up, remove the cd from the cd drive and allow it to start up from the hard drive like normal. Hopefully all will be well.