Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Space And Raid Controllers

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pandammonia

pandammonia

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:39 PM

Hey all. Since my puter got back from the shop theres a few other strange things (besides my now not genuine windows). Such as when i open up my device manager, theres a little yellow mark to get my attention attatched to my RAID controller. a) What is a RAID controller? How do i resolve this? I always used to have a RAID controller, i know my device manager inside out and it was never missing before it went to be fixed.
Second of all, my pc came back with all my documents n stuff gone but according to the space, they are still there. I put my nero back-up on after i got it home, and then my used space went up to nearly 3 times the size of what it should be. So it would seem i have everything on this pc in 3's, but only 1 is visible. Whats happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:14 AM

Some brief information on RAID:

RAID combines multiple hard drives into one single logical unit; therefore, instead of seeing multiple hard drives the operating system sees only one. The RAID controller is the device which manages the physical storage units in the RAID system and presents them to the computer as logical units.

You should check if you have the latest driver for your RAID controller, and even if you do I would recommend that you try re-installing it.

And if I were you I would never take my computer back to that shop again!!!
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 pandammonia

pandammonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:41 PM

Budapest- THANK YOU! I tried googling for RAID but it bought up stuff about servers, go figure.
So even if i only have 1 HDD i should still have a RAID controller? How do i know what type i need? and where do i get it? Is it easy to install (ie through windows or do i need to go to dos)?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:39 AM

Actually, RAID controllers are hardware. This page shows some pictures of an Intel RAID controller. I don't know anything about your system but perhaps you've always had multiple drives connected to a RAID controller and never knew it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 pandammonia

pandammonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:55 AM

I just bought a pc mag that had an article about raid as well, now i kinda get it. I thought it might have been something to do with disc drives, as i cant burn or watch dvds properly anymore. I know my system only has one hdd, but was recently thinking of getting another. But like i said, the icon has never been in my device manager before, so i assume the raid was always there.
In my device manager it says as follows:
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.
Is this all i have to do? Or do i actually have to get the driver first?

Also, in the article u referred me to, it says something about raid being a serial ATA device. Is this more commonly known as SATA? Because there is also a new screen in my bios that says SATA devices not enabled or detected (cant remember which), that has appeared since coming back from shop too. Whats this all about? Is it anything to do with raid?
Sorry to overwhelm you with multiple questions per post.

Edited by pandammonia, 18 January 2007 - 06:00 AM.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:04 AM

Just off the top of my head I think there are two ways to do this.

1. One is to let XP search for the latest driver. Quiet a handy feature but you'll never be 100% sure that it found the latest one.

2. The other option is to find out the make of your RAID Controller and then go to the manufacturer's website and find the latest driver there. Sometimes they will have an option to click on that will automate the installation process.

So try option 1 first. Then note what driver it found and then try option 2 to check if you in fact got the latest driver. If not download and install it manually.

I hope this all makes sense to you. Check this link for some more info on updating drivers.

Edited by Budapest, 18 January 2007 - 06:07 AM.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 pandammonia

pandammonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:11 AM

Thanks budapest, i wasnt sure whether to do it this way or not because of the message in my bios startup, but also because im sure i remember when ive installed windows before, it asks to install sata and raid controllers /drivers before installing windows.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:18 AM

Check this link for some info on SATA.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 pandammonia

pandammonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:34 AM

That link explains quite a bit, though in very fractured English lol. Cheers. So basically, it's well out of my capabilities of fixing so it'll have to go to the shop again, though a different one this time i think.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:45 AM

I wouldn't give up yet.

Try updating the drivers using the Device Manager. Select Update Driver under the Driver tab.

Let us know what happens.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 pandammonia

pandammonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:06 AM

ok, i will give it a go. wont be tonite though as "7 Zwege" starring Nina Hagen has just begun on TV, so i will give it a go tomorrow and be sure to post back.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:20 AM

Check out this Bleeping Computer tutorial on updating drivers.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 pandammonia

pandammonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:42 PM

i havent tried it yet, want to do back-ups 1st in case anything goes wrong, but Neros not letting me burn for spme reason,, i'll try to sort this out first n let you know.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:03 PM

If you have a SATA hard drive (small cable, usually blue) you may need your RAID controller (depending on your motherboard). Generally SATA cables only have 2 connectors on them (and are thin and blue) - IDE cables, on the other hand, usually have 3 connectors on them and are flat, wide and grey.

One option is to disable the RAID controller and see what happens - worst case you'll have to do a repair install of XP to get it back in the list of devices.

Best thing to do is, as Budapest suggests, locate the drivers for it and install them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 pandammonia

pandammonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:11 AM

Thanks usama. But as i said, i would like to do back-ups first, and nothings letting me burn, so will try to fix this issue first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users