Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

eliminating useless processes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zer0_II

Zer0_II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 01 January 2005 - 01:14 PM

Sorry for the newbie questions. I'm trying to figure out which processes should and should not be running on my computer. Here is a list of the processes that are currently running

jusched.exe MT
cisvc.exe MT
winlog.exe MT
avgcc.exe MT
TrayServer.exe MT
wdfmgr.exe Local Service
svchost.exe System
nvscv32.exe System
cisvc.exe System
avgupsvc.exe System
avgamsvr.exe System
explorer.exe MT
wbload.exe MT
spoolsv.exe System
LEXBCES.exe System
svchost.exe Local Service
svchost.exe Network Service
svchost.exe System
svchost.exe System
lsass.exe System
services.exe System
winlogon.exe System
csrss.exe System
smss.exe System
System System
System Idle Process System

I'm pretty sure that some of these are not needed. I also have a lot of programs that run on startup which haven't been removed by my antivirus (avg) or by my spyware detection programs (spybot & adaware). I'm currently blocking them with System Mechanic, but I would like to delete these programs alltogether if they are harmful. Here is a screenshot from my system mechanic screen.

http://www.hipgallery.com/photopost2/data/..._screenshot.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again sorry for newbie questions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2005 - 01:25 PM

Hi zero, :thumbsup: to BC. You can find information on the processes running on your computer and what to do about them by going to this site and looking them up in the task list. http://www.answersthatwork.com/

You have a lot of instances of task help disabled, try enabling all of them and refreshing system mechanic to see if it goes back to one instance. I know on my system that some programs (quicktime comes to mind) will restart themselves when I use the program and add another entry into my startup list unless I do what I explained above.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 Zer0_II

Zer0_II
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2005 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestion. It seems like it's going to be a very time consuming task to individually look up each of these processes and figuring out which ones are needed, which ones aren't, and how to track down and delete the ones that aren't needed from my computer. I wish that I had done all of this earlier. My girlfriend is going to kill me lol. If anyone else has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Edited by Zer0_II, 01 January 2005 - 01:39 PM.

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 01 January 2005 - 04:46 PM

Welcome to BC!

No I think you do have to look up each one manually. You also can type in start up processes in google and it will show you a site.

The site is sysinfo.com but if you type in those keywords it will take you to the part you need to go to.

I had to do this too and do it often.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2005 - 06:58 PM

Another good resource is:

http://www.greatis.com/appdata/necessary.htm

This site nicely groups the programs and applications into four categories: Necessary,Useless, Optional, and Dangerous.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2005 - 07:10 PM

Everything you've always wanted to know about Start-up programs but were afraid to ask at Pacs-Portal. Includes a bunch of programs to manage them too.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Zer0_II

Zer0_II
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2005 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I believe that I have cleared up my problems now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users