Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For Linux Os Replacement On Laptop.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 C J.

C J.

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:30 PM

Hi all, I'm new to the idea of using a build of Linux. I've always been a windows person, but I have this toshiba Sattelite laptop running Windows ME, 770 mhz P3, 60GB Hd.. 128 mb ram - that has run into some problems, after a failed attempt to update it to XP-SP2. I've been thinking about making a Live CD that can write back to the harddrive, (without upsetting ME install.) Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:57 PM

almost any live distro will do that. knoppix, and puppy both offer saving to the HDD last I checked, multi-session cds (saves data back to the cd), or load in RAM which allows you to remove the live cd and use your cd burner to save

Posted Image

#3 Max-T

Max-T

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:52 PM

Ubuntu is a great linux distro, you could do the following

-Use an Ubuntu live CD.
-Use an Ubuntu live CD to install to the hard drive.
I would install it to the Hard drive because you can do that without messing up ME.

To install ubuntu to the hard drive without messing up your ME install just

1. Defragment your hard drive
2. Download GPartED from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...ckage_id=173828
3. Burn the ISO to your CD.
4. boot from the CD
5. Resize your Windows ME partion and make it smaller
6. Restart your computer in ME and just check and make sure everything is working fine.
7.Boot from the CD again and create your linux partitions
8. Boot from the Ubuntu live CD and Install it to the partitions that you created.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.”- Albert Einstein
“Just because we increase the speed of information doesn’t mean we can increase the speed of decisions. Pondering, reflecting and ruminating are undervalued skills in our culture.”- Dale Dauten

#4 C J.

C J.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for the idea Max T... about Ubuntu.

I've got Windows ME saved on the laptops original 10GB harddrive. I imaged it onto a 60 GB drive I bought last year. The current image install of ME is fried. A result of trying to dynamically update it to Windows XP Pro, which I use on my Desktop PC. Saving ME (aka Win9x final ed.,) isn't important to me at all. I could wipe the drive and use the full 60GB :thumbsup:

#5 C J.

C J.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

Ubuntu is a great linux distro, you could do the following

-Use an Ubuntu live CD.
-Use an Ubuntu live CD to install to the hard drive.
I would install it to the Hard drive because you can do that without messing up ME.

To install ubuntu to the hard drive without messing up your ME install just

1. Defragment your hard drive
2. Download GPartED from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...ckage_id=173828
3. Burn the ISO to your CD.
4. boot from the CD
5. Resize your Windows ME partion and make it smaller
6. Restart your computer in ME and just check and make sure everything is working fine.
7.Boot from the CD again and create your linux partitions
8. Boot from the Ubuntu live CD and Install it to the partitions that you created.

It took some patience but I have ubuntu installed. Since ME was trashed by a botched install of XP Pro... I just wiped the drive, and did a clean install using the Ubuntu 6.10 alternate install. iso that burned to disk. For some reason the CD disk was *$#& so I went over to Ubuntu.com forums and located a mini.iso that is an internet based alternative... as far as downloading and installing everything I needed, it took close to 3.5 hours but it is so worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users