Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Arial Font Is Messing Up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ains

Ains

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:09 PM

Hi, I don't think this is a virus, but it might be.. and I'm not sure where to post because it's affecting everything on my computer.

For the past month or so, after working on my computer for some time, my arial fonts seem to disappear. Web pages that use arial load as blank in IE 6 and 7 (I removed IE7 hoping this would help, because it happened shortly after I downloaded it, but it didn't work), and in Firefox they load using a weird font that's difficult to read. I've been able to fix Firefox so that I use a different font (in this case Arial Narrow) to load all of my pages so I can read them, but when I need to open a PDF document that uses Arial it loads blank. Adobe then gives me the error message: "cannot display Arial MT"

If I open Microsoft Word when it's doing this, under the menu for fonts, the space where Arial should be is blank. Documents that use Arial appear blank as well. In Windows Media Player and other programs that use Arial for the titles on their tabs (for example, "Library" in Media Player) load blank.

In the Windows login page, my password appears in straight lines instead of circles

If I restart my computer when it's doing this, it will work normally (loading Arial fonts just fine) for a little while, but it always starts up again. I've updated my Java, but I'm wondering if this has something to do with that.

Could someone please help me? Norton says I don't have a virus, and I've run regular Adaware scans.

Here are some screenshots, thanks to anyone who can help!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Ains, 16 January 2007 - 10:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

Did you remove the old version of Java after you updated?

Refer to your previous post Here.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:47 PM

what about trying something basic as to replace the arial font by a new one?

#4 Ains

Ains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

I tried downloading a new Arial font, but that font won't display properly either. When I go under "Add/Remove Programs" my Java versions are J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0, J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10, J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6, and J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 9. How do I know which ones (if any) to remove?

It seems to do this if I'm using a lot of Arial at once, for example, if I open a Powerpoint presentation that has all arial fonts, they get jumbled and then go blank.

#5 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:27 PM

remove anything except for update 10, reboot and try again.

#6 Ains

Ains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:23 PM

I deleted those programs, it didn't fix it though. Tomorrow I'll do a system restore once I back up my files unless anyone has any other ideas?

#7 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:04 AM

yu might want to do the following :

Have your XP cd handy and type sfc /scannow this will repair the XP installation and pottentially repair your problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users