Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Erase All Info On A Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 adam454c

adam454c

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:32 PM

Hi

A friends roomate is giving me there laptop. It is a Toshiba and im prety sure they said it had XP on it.
They said I can have it for free if I remove the hard drive and destroy it OR I can erase it or format it. What are my options if i just want to erase/format I know you cant always remove everything...but i wont tell them that. Or would i be better off just getting a new hard drive?

THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:41 PM

By all means... keep the hard drive.... that's the golden part of the computer.

Repartition it, then Reformat it.... and you will be good to go.

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:41 PM

If they just want their private files removed have then use Eraser. That way WinXP will still be installed with all of the proper drivers for the laptop.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 16 January 2007 - 12:41 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 adam454c

adam454c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:46 PM

Wow that was a really fast response. How do i Repartition it, then Reformat it? How does Eraser work?
I would like to keep the xp operating sys that seems easier, so which method should i use?

Thanks

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:51 PM

An important question I missed.

Do you have the OS cd and the cd key?

#6 adam454c

adam454c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:58 PM

I dont know if i will get the OS cd or a key code. I hope so, i will have to find out.

#7 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:58 PM

Wow that was a really fast response. How do i Repartition it, then Reformat it? How does Eraser work?
I would like to keep the xp operating sys that seems easier, so which method should i use?

Thanks

To use there is a quick start guide link at the right of the website.

Eraser Quick Start Guide
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:13 PM

I dont know if i will get the OS cd or a key code. I hope so, i will have to find out.

Until you know for sure, repartitioning and reformatting is out of the question for now. But you can still delete/remove files and such as how TheTerrorist_75 suggested.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:45 AM

The Toshiba should have come with a Restore DVD that contains everything you'll need to restore the system (and format the hard drive) to the state that it left the factory in.

It should also have a copy of the COA for Windows XP with the CD Key you'll need to install the OS.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 adam454c

adam454c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:32 PM

Hi I got the laptop!
I had to take the harddrive out, she wanted it back. It is a Toshiba satellite A65 with windows XP. The old hard drive was a Hitachi Travelstar 40GB 4200rpm ATA/IDE.

I could use some advice on getting a new hard drivebrand, size, speed, refurb?. I dont know much about them.
I have the product reg key for XP but no disk can i use any xp disk?
THANKS

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:34 AM

Get a 40gB or larger drive. As long as it's a 2.5" EIDE drive the rest shouldn't matter.

You may have the product key, but you'll have to locate a disk that it'll work on. You stand the best chance of it working if you use the same disk as was included with the Toshiba originally.

So, I'd suspect an OEM version of XP would work for you - but you'll have the dickens to pay with finding drivers. Try this link for more info: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/80056/toshiba-satellite-a30-drivers/

The best course of action would be to borrow/get the restore disk from the original owner. I suspect that you can order replacement disks from Toshiba, but have no clue on how to go about it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:54 AM

The Product key is not hard coded [i.e. does not have a singular unique identity] to the Windows XP CD or any other version of Windows installation disk media.

I got this information from this site. So any disk should be okay as long as it's the same disk as the original operating system. That is: if the computer had XP Pro installed originally then you must use an XP Pro disk, not an XP Home disk.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:05 AM

I hate recovery disks. I understand some people need them though, I always format, and merge the partitions together, find the recovery partition pointless. I also wipe the OS they give me, to many unnecessary programs.

But do not format until you know for sure what you're getting with it.

Edited by Uraiser, 08 February 2007 - 02:06 AM.

#14 robsie

robsie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:43 AM

I hate recovery disks. I understand some people need them though, I always format, and merge the partitions together, find the recovery partition pointless. I also wipe the OS they give me, to many unnecessary programs.

But do not format until you know for sure what you're getting with it.

Yes especially their 3 month trial programs, I'd rather install everything manually, but then that's why I'm a PC administrator lol.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:23 AM

Ah, but this is a double-edged sword. The "crap" is also a subsidy for the manufacturer. So they can sell your computer at a cheaper price than they would if they didn't have the "crap" on it. Basically, the owners of the "crap" programs pay the computer maker to install it on the system - so it saves you money.

I'd prefer to pay a bit more to get a clean system - but then again, I build my own so this isn't a problem for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users