Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is Malicious Script Detected

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Skeeterman

Skeeterman

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:26 AM

My wife's Compaq running XP Home has a warning. When in Internet Explorer, and I click on tools there is a drop-down category. In this category list.. there is ..Internet Connection Help> When I click on this, a Norton Anti virus window opens.. It says... 'MALICIOUS SCRIPT DETECTED". A red alert icon states its "High Risk". There is a line of words that reads..."Your computer is halted and needs to do something about this script."
Right below this wording is.
Object: Windows Script Host Shell Object.
Activity: EXEC
File: IEXPLORE.EXE

I have ran a Norton Virus scan, and found nothing.. Ran the Ad-Aware scan, and found nothing..

What is this warning all about?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:38 PM

That is Norton being overzealous in protecting your computer.

This a way to work with that warning. This is for Live Meeting but the same steps should help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871026

WORKAROUND

Warning This workaround may make your computer or your network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.

To work around this issue, follow these steps before you try to install or to remove the Live Meeting Add-in for Microsoft Outlook:

1. Start Norton AntiVirus.
2. In Norton AntiVirus Options, click Script Blocking.
3. In the How to respond when a malicious script is found area, click Ask me what to do (recommended).
4. Click OK.

A more permanent solution is to completely uninstall Norton and switch to a friendlier anti-virus program. Completely uninstalling Norton requires some work and I would suggest creating a new post for that.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 Skeeterman

Skeeterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:53 PM

I had all that "checked" in the Norton set-up page long before this malicious waring occured.

I just completed a complete Recovery. Now it's gone, and hopful it won't appear anything soon.

Anyway, thatks for the info.

#4 Skeeterman

Skeeterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:49 PM

It was a rush to believe that I had the problem cured by making a complete system recovery, but that's not the case. It raised it's ugly head again.. Malicious Script Detected..

This is a new Compaq PC.. Just three weeks in operation... Has all the bells and whistles.. with Norton Antivirus 2006.

Do you think the PC came with this problem?

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:29 AM

It was a rush to believe that I had the problem cured by making a complete system recovery, but that's not the case. It raised it's ugly head again.. Malicious Script Detected..

This is a new Compaq PC.. Just three weeks in operation... Has all the bells and whistles.. with Norton Antivirus 2006.

Do you think the PC came with this problem?

Yes. That problem is Norton 2006 came preinstalled. Norton sucks. I would start a new thread asking how to get rid of Norton completely and install one of the recommended free anti-virus programs.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 Skeeterman

Skeeterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:43 PM

What are the top rated Antivirus software programs? I goggled and found a listing of several. The top rated with the revue's show a ..The Shield 2007 Antivirus& Firewall at $29.99. But it's a download. I want to buy the CD type so I can re-load it if I should have to make a complete recovery on the PC.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:41 PM

The Shield 2007 Antivirus& Firewall at $29.99. But it's a download. I want to buy the CD type so I can re-load it if I should have to make a complete recovery on the PC.

First off when you download a program you will be presented with a Window asking if you want to Run or Save the program. Always choose Save and then direct it to save it somewhere where you can find it, such as a folder that you have already created. Then simply copy the downloaded program and burn it to a CD. Then you will have a back up copy of it in case of disaster.

AVG is a great antivirus program, it leaves a small footprint on your computer, and the licensing is free for home users. For commercial users there is a charge, something like $20 per year. Well worth it.

http://free.grisoft.com
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users