Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Recycler

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 phiz

phiz

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:19 AM

Hello

I have been really stupid and tried to get a free copy of some software, norton keeps telling me I have been infected with a trojan horse, I have run AVG but it is not detecting anything, I have tried system restore but it will not do it.

I have a packard bell laptop, I am connected to sky broadband via a netgear box, I am running windows XP, I have AVG free, spybot and zone alarm.

I am not very computer literate and get very confused when my computer asks me questions, which is how I got this problem, silly me.

Anyway i would really appreciate help, my computer does not seem to be misbehaving in any way, just norton popping up telling me I have a problem (I ususally disable norton as it seems to stop me entering some sites).

this is what norton says I have

C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-3030986203-1543860524-236733061-1006\Dc4.exe

my e-mail address is xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thank you

Maggie x

Mod Edit: E-mail address was removed for your safety. Please, do not post your E-mail address in an open forum. This could lead to a lot more SPAM in your inbox, than you might want. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 16 January 2007 - 06:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:46 AM

PLease try this guide. Also remove your email adress to avoid spambots tracking it

#3 phiz

phiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:39 AM

Thank you Fozzie

I did all that, although part 11 did not happen so I just rebooted. How do I find out if I still have problems, the only way I knew before was norton popped up, but it hasn't popped up as yet.

Maggie x

PS sorry about e-mail bit but I think you have my old one in your system and I just wanted to update.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:04 AM

PS sorry about e-mail bit but I think you have my old one in your system and I just wanted to update.

To update your E-mail address:
At the top of the forum pages, click My Controls.
In the Menu on the left, under the Options heading, click Change Email Address.
Follow the directions, then click the Change my Email Address button, at the bottom.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:54 PM

Download ATF Cleaner by Atribune. (This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only)
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
Run another anti-virus scan and see if it still finds anything.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users