Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows, Mac Linux

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dg1279

dg1279

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:37 AM

Which of the following Operating Systems is the best?. MS, MAC or LINUX. My definition of best is a combination of reliability and security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:20 PM

This should probably be moved to the speak easy cuz it might get ugly in here.

Linux is very reliable and secure however somewhat difficult to get used to.

FreeBSD is very similar.

MS is not the geatest in either reliablity (judged here in stability), or security this is because MS is very common.

Mac I've never used so idk.

also check out the free solarus thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...c=78226&hl=

Posted Image

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

Each and every OS is as secure and stable as you make it. Each has their own benefits and drawbacks. My Windows PCs have never given me issues or became infected in the past 6 years after learning what to do. I like Linux but find it to be lacking for some minor things and a PITA to install apps into. I wouldn't mind having a Mac but really can't think of one logical reason why.

I am very happy with my WinXP/Win98SE dual boot setup and Knoppix 5.1.1 LiveCD which will soon be installed in place of Win98SE. I use Knoppix for troubleshooting and recovery on clients' computers.

I do not do any heavy graphical or video work. I mostly use Office apps. I prefer MS Office 2000 over Open Office which is very slow compared to the Windows version.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users