Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Private Messages

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:17 AM

This is a question in the back of my mind all the time when sending PM's.
Wondering what other members thoughts are when sending them.
Sending a PM should imply what the title suggests IMO.
Would the Mods and Admin clarify if indeed they are private, and who
has access to them when they feel like looking into other peoples affairs?
I bring this up because of concern for privacy,and the fact that a number of members
have given me their email addresses,raising the privacy issue with me,and telling
me they feel more comfortable not useing PM's.Any views on this subject?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:18 AM

PM's can only be viewed by Grinler (Admin), but as he has stated to the Mods:

There is no access to PMs so dont worry about it. Technically I can see em if I need em, buts its a pain my ass and not worth the trouble.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:00 AM

You shouldn't do anything on a computer that you are not expecting SOMEBODY might have access to it. Email is not secure and neither is a third party forum. I have no reason to doubt the truth of the admin but OTOH I've no reason to trust him either. And there are also hackers to consider as well.

PGP is your friend.
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:28 AM

ANY use of the internet is a public matter, whether it is a list of sites you visit, the contents of an E-mail, or a record of a IM. Indeed, this also seems to apply to personal first class letters, bank transactions, or phone conversations.
Naturally, there is a record of any PM made here at BC; access to this record is strictly limited, and every attempt is made to keep it secure it from hackers or other Members. Our member's privacy is of great concern to BC:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/privacy.php

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:51 PM

ANY use of the internet is a public matter, whether it is a list of sites you visit, the contents of an E-mail, or a record of a IM. Indeed, this also seems to apply to personal first class letters, bank transactions, or phone conversations.
Naturally, there is a record of any PM made here at BC; access to this record is strictly limited, and every attempt is made to keep it secure it from hackers or other Members. Our member's privacy is of great concern to BC:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/privacy.php

Regards,
John

Thanks for the link John,much appreciated.I realise that the internet is in the public domain,was just wondering how much privacy is given to Private Messages.
The link you supplied goes some ways as to explaining it. :thumbsup:

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for the link John,much appreciated.I realise that the internet is in the public domain,was just wondering how much privacy is given to Private Messages.

The answer is a lot of privacy. I am the only one with access and that is by going directly into the database. It's a royal pain and is only done when I feel someone is abusing the site in some way or causing a problem to our members.

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:34 PM

The answer is a lot of privacy. I am the only one with access and that is by going directly into the database. It's a royal pain and is only done when I feel someone is abusing the site in some way or causing a problem to our members.

Thanks for responding,Grinler.I was hopeing the PM's were only accessed when absolutely important.
You have put my mind at ease and feel more comfortable useing PM's in the future. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users