Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Digi Cam

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cherylisfun

cherylisfun

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:18 AM

I have one of those Kodak Easy Share digi cams right now and it is "ok". It is only 3.2 mega pixels and just doesn't show the "detail" in the pictures that I really want.

Someone I was talking to on MYSPACE had some pictures on of her kids and they are always of wonderful detail. I asked her what kind of camera she had and she said it's a Nikon Coolpix 4600. Now, I looked this up and I see they do not cost that much.

My question...what kind of mega pixel do I actually need to get some of that "in your face" detail, I have heard at least 5? Also does anyone else have any experience with this Nikon Coolpix 4600 camera that they should share their thoughts on?

Thank You
-Cheryl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:17 PM

I haven't played with the Nikon Coolpix, but I did have the Kodak EasyShare (CX7310) - and we recently upgraded for the same reason.

The key to good photos is firstly the MP rating, and then the Optical zoom rating. A lot of people get tricked when they talk about 'Digital Zoom' - which from the camera you would already know is just cutting down the view frame without actually improving the image.

The best combination is as follows (only from my experience & disregarding digital zoom):
No Optical zoom - minimum of 8 - 9 MP
3 x Optical zoom - minimum of 6.5 - 8 MP
5 x Optical Zoom - minimum of 6 - 7 MP
10 x Optical Zoom - minimum of 5 MP.

Myers (in Australia) recently had their post Xmas sales, and we picked up the Sony Cyber-shot (with 3 x optical zoom & 7.2 MP) fairly cheap - and it is awesome. You wouldn't believe the difference spending a bit of money on a camera does!

The Nikon Coolpix 4600 is unfortunately only 4 MP, so you are really not going to benefit too much, however it does have a 3 x optical zoom, so the quality will be markedly better than the Kodak.

I would shop around with those guidelines and try to get yourself the best deal. For example, there was a 10x optical zoom at 6MP which would have taken better piccies than the Cybershot, and it was $AU150-200 cheaper - the reason is that it was not a compact ( which are popular at the moment ). So you really need to figure out also what you want from the camera...

Hope that helps!! :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users