Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Open Defrag?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:53 AM

I tried to defrag my computer for the first time since a fresh XP re-install (about 3 weeks ago), and i can't do it. Here's a screen-cap of the error message i get:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m41/monkey655321/mmc.jpg

You may have to click on the image to enlarge it to see the message clearly.

I am the only user on this computer, and, as far as i know, have full admin rights. I haven't had any other problems regarding installing/uninstalling programs, and have run my adware/spyware programs multiple times.

I just recently did a fresh install of XP, and haven't messed w/ the configuration or system files at all. What's the problem?

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of "dfrg" file properties: http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m41/mon...1/dfrgprops.jpg , in case anything there is relevant to the problem....

Thanx in advance for any help or responses.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 16 January 2007 - 01:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 _Peter_

_Peter_

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:04 AM

Well the dfrg.exe file's properties on your computer are exactly the same as the ones on my computer, size and all, so there shouldn't be a problem. Will the program run if you double click on dfrg.exe?

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:22 AM

I tried double clicking on it directly from the system32 folder, but it still gives me the same error.

I'd just like to add that all my windows updates are complete, and my system is up to date. It's genuine windows XP SP2.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 16 January 2007 - 09:22 AM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:59 AM

Try running sfc /scannow. If there are any inconsistence files this should correct them. You can use the command from the Run window.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:28 PM

Nope, nothing changed. Ran the "sfc /scannow" command and it didn't find/do anything. I'm still getting the same message when i try to defrag.

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:52 PM

Hi Heretic Monkey.
Click Start>Run and type mmc.exe in the box, hit enter.
In the resulting empty console window, click File>Add/Remove Snap-in.
On the "Standalone" tab, click the "Add" button. Select Disk Defragmenter from the snap-in window and click the "Add' button. Click ok.

#7 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:34 PM

Hey HitSquad,

I did what you said, and added the defrag AND indexing service (since it seems i can't run a search in any folders or from the start menu), but i can't save the console. I went up to File > Save, and a box popped up prompting me to save as "Console 1" in "Administrative Tools". However, when i go to save, it says "MMC can not save the console". Now what's going on?

#8 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:41 AM

I've also tried restarting my computer, running "ccleaner", and checking to make sure all of the "Windows Components" in the "Add/Remove Programs" are enabled. Still no dice......

Oh, and *bump* :thumbsup:

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 17 January 2007 - 12:42 AM.

#9 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:09 AM

How do you log in? As an administrator?
Did you by any chance did an install of seperate items of Windows?

#10 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:37 PM

I'm about 95% positive that my only user account (called "monkey") has admin capabilities. That's the only XP account that pops up on the sign in menu. Through safe mode, i can sign in through "Administrator" but i still can't run Defrag from there.

Oh, and while trying to go to the "Control Panel" through "Monkey", i get another error at "User Accounts": http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m41/mon...21/useracct.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users