Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Error For Geforce 7900gs

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 luckyjoe

luckyjoe

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:49 AM

The graphics card that i recently installed is the geforce 7900gs and i installed the most recent driver for the card. When I play games such as counter strike or condition zero, the entire game freezes up and my computer restarts. I saw an error message once that said that my driver application stopped working. Anybody know how to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:22 AM

What driver version do you have? I was poking around on the NVIDIA website and I believe that the latest driver is version 84.63. Is this the one you have? If you have a newer beta version then I would revert to version 84.63. If this is the one you have then try re-installing it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 luckyjoe

luckyjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:46 AM

84.63 didn't work for me. the error message that i received was: The Nvidia Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.
At first i tried only using the driver that came on the cd, but i still had the same problems. I also tried using the 91.47 version but to no avail. is there a way to check what version of the driver i currently have installed?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:52 AM

Click Start.
On the Start menu, click Run.
In the Open box, type "dxdiag" (without the quotation marks) , and then click OK.
The DirectX Diagnostic Tool should open. Click the Display tab.
This should give you all sorts of relevant information.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 luckyjoe

luckyjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

it says version 6.14.0010.9147? is that correct thats what it said under display and driver version. I think this is the one that i was talking about 91.47 version. im going to try rolling back the drivers and see what i version i get

Edited by luckyjoe, 16 January 2007 - 09:58 AM.

#6 luckyjoe

luckyjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:14 AM

91.47 is the version that is apparently on the cd. i cant seem to be able to install the other version what should i do?

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:17 AM

Just a thought...check your BIOS and make sure the on-board graphics is disabled. Because if it isn't your computer will use the on-board graphics instead of your new graphics card.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 luckyjoe

luckyjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:23 AM

i went to video configurations and changed the primary video adapter to pci-e. is that the right way to do it?

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:28 AM

Yeah - that sounds right. What was it set to before? You will probably need to re-install the driver off the CD. Let us know if it all works okay now.

Edited by Budapest, 16 January 2007 - 11:29 AM.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 luckyjoe

luckyjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:33 AM

it was set on auto but the video card seemed to still work. the display showed that the video card was plugged in and working

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:43 AM

Another thing you can try is to disable the onboard card in the device manager.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 luckyjoe

luckyjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:46 AM

i think it works now. i didnt do it thru device manager because i wasnt sure what to uninstall, but ill check again tonight and see if it works. thanks for yur help

#13 luckyjoe

luckyjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

nope it doesnt work the image still gets distorted and freezes and then restarts

#14 luckyjoe

luckyjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:58 PM

the game freezes a little more often now. is there any way to fix this and why am i not able to install the driver from the site?

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:27 AM

I'm not really sure why the driver won't update. Read this article for some basic information on driver installation.

When you did dxdiag was your new graphics card shown in the Card Name?

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users