Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mother Board Compatability?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shadowknuxem

shadowknuxem

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:50 AM

I am a total noob when it comes to what is inside of a computer, with that being said I need help. I amy trying to upgrade an older computer to run with Windows XP, but I have no Idea what my Mother Board needs to be compatable with, all I know is I need one. So here is my question, does compatability matter? And if it does then what do I need it to be compatable with?
Here is a list of Items that I want to order, just incase you need to know.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820141164
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822144415
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819104241

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:06 AM

Yes, compatability means everything. Your ram must be compatable, as the cpu. What is your motherboard make and model? With that we can find out what ram goes with it and what cpu will work. The hard drive is a SATA and not all motherboards will have a connection for them. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 shadowknuxem

shadowknuxem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:35 AM

I was thanking of geting this Mother Board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813135214
It's Model is K8M800-M2 (2.0) and it says its AMD compatible.

#4 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:55 AM

That mobo takes a socket 754 AMD processor, which is an obsolete design. The processors are still available but no longer being manufactured. For this reason your best deal is almost certainly to buy the bundled processor with the mobo. Add RAM, Hard drive, DVD-RW drive, and a case, and you've got the whole package.

It uses standard DDR RAM (Not the newer DDR2) but that is still widely available so no worries there. Crucial and Kingston brands have the best reputation. I suggest buying a gig as it's pretty cheap. The board has a SATA connection so you can use either type of hard drive (SATA or PATA/EIDE). I prefer Seagate because of the longer warranty.

Being an older design you won't get blazing performance from this combo but if you're just looking for a machine to do things other than gaming this will be fine.

If you want to re-use your old case case make sure the power supply is up to the job. Suggested minimums from AMD used to be +3.3V 28 amps. +5V 30 amps. +12V 15 amps. Don't pay too much attention to watt numbers, those can be misleading. Since modern motherboards power the processor from the 12 volt line, I'd suggest going higher than the minimum on that one. Also make sure the power supply has the little 12V 4-pin plug (a separate connection for the processor) as well as the standard ATX connector.

Frankly if your case is from the Windows 98*Grinler era you'll probably need a new PSU (power supply unit). It would be worth your while to visit a store that sells them just to get a look at how they attach to the case. If your case is generic a newer PSU will probably fit. If you have a brand-name PC (e.g. Compaq) you may have to make some modifications, or else buy a new case.

If you have specific questions about the Sempron 64 and compatible motherboards, RAM, power supplies, etc. this forum is the place to go. Don't be put off by the high level of some of the talk, they are happy to answer basic questions. I used to hang out with some of the guys there on another (now-defunct) forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users