Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Keys?!?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pandammonia

pandammonia

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:47 PM

Well after getting my pc back from the shop having finally resolved my other issues, i have now discovered my pc is apparently running non-genuine xp. :flowers: (which surprises me because i've never had this appear before in 10 months of this pc) anyhoo... i have a laptop that came with xp that hardly gets used anymore, is it possible for me to use the key my laptop and transfer it to my pc to make it genuine?
Thnx in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:33 AM

No.. it won't work.

Someone else may have a better answer, but I'm not sure you'll be able to do it.

You'll need to find your cd key for the one you're missing, or if you have the cd key for your other one, you'll need to install your windows over that one, and supply your cd key.

You can always call their toll-free no# and get it activated, if it's not already, even if you don't have your cd key. I've done it a few months ago.

#3 pandammonia

pandammonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:55 AM

Hi walkman... Thanks for your reply but i'm not sure i understand u right so i'll re-iterate my problem.
My pc never came with cd- it was bought from a shop where i used to live in Melbourne, and it's this pc that since going to a different shop to be repaired has come back saying my xp is not genuine. I spoke to the repairer and he said that all he did was do a repair install of xp and my OS was not genuine prior to him repairing it(though as i said, ive never seen evidence of this until now). My old laptop, which is still fine, came with an OEM version of windows xp pro (same as mine), which has been activated. Seeing as i use my laptop less, i figure i might as well make the pc genuine instead of laptop.
A re-install of laptop xp wont work on my desktop though... and i dont have my old key that was on my desktop before as i thought it was genuine so never needed to know it.

#4 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:03 AM

If the reason you believe that your copy of XP is not genuine is because of the auto-update notification, be aware that many users have reported false negatives in this regard. Belarc Advisor http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html will give you the keys and then you can visit the special forum that MS set up to deal with all the issues: http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowFo...2&SiteID=25 Good luck and post back with your progress.
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:07 AM

Download Everest Home Edition:

EVEREST Home Edition
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...e-Edition.shtml
EVEREST Home Edition is a free system diagnostics, system information and benchmarking solution for home PC users, based on the award-winning EVEREST Technology. If you don't know what type of video card you have, or anyhting else about your computer, then you'll need this.

click on Operating System..... and it'll reveal your Product ID and Product Key.

#6 pandammonia

pandammonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:08 AM

1101Doc- Interesting... I'd say this could be the problem as it happened while trying to install IE7 on the validation process. As i said, i have no reason to believe it's not a genuine xp, except i was wary that the guy who fixed my pc has possibly taken my original key...

#7 pandammonia

pandammonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:14 AM

Walkman- Cheers. Will download this tool for further use. I have already managed to extract the current product ID and key using magicjellybean or whatever its called, from the current installation, but it's this current installation thats saying not genuine, whereas my past one never did. I think it's possible that it is just a false negative, so am going to investigate the forums at microsoft as 1o11doc suggested.
Does anyone know why just changing the key wont work?

#8 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:25 AM

Does anyone know why just changing the key wont work?

Because each key belongs to each product software. The software is coded to accept that key only, to prevent fraudulent activations of the M$ operating system.

But there is a way to get a new key and activate it, LEGALLY.... you just need to contact M$ if you have a genuinely paid for machine. It's really that easy.

I suspect M$ reissues out thousands of product keys per day, or close to it. You have to tell them what they want to hear, and then it's a done deal.

#9 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:26 AM

If the PC was built and came with XP preinstalled then whoever built it is required by Microsoft's OEM agreement to attach the XP product key as a sticker to the case. If this wasn't done, I would get up on them and make them give you a proper key.

So far as transferring the laptop key, if you can't get one for the desktop that's a possibility, though once you activate it on the desktop you can't use it on the laptop. You can change an existing XP key using a utility called RockXP. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4138.html
Posted Image

#10 pandammonia

pandammonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:28 AM

Cool. Thanx walkman.

#11 pandammonia

pandammonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:34 AM

arcman- I have checked my case for a sticker and cant find it. As for contacting the store, we are now on opposite sides of the country, so not really an option, and if they were dodgy enough to completely stuff with windows so as appear genuine, i dont like my chances of getting a legit product from them.
As for the keychange, the laptop was activated once, but last time i used it, i recovered from a huge virus and had to re-activate it, which i never bothered doing.

#12 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:47 AM

Well, what I'm suggesting if you want to transfer the key from the laptop to the desktop is you find the key sticker on the laptop, and then use RockXP on the desktop to input that key.

Of course, this will only work if both sets of Windows are XP Pro and are the OEM editions (not the boxed versions sold in stores).

If that doesn't work you'll either have to haggle with MS over the phone, buy their genuine XP offer through the WGA link, or just head to the store and buy yourself a copy of XP proper.
Posted Image

#13 pandammonia

pandammonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:59 AM

Is there a way to find out what kind of version my desktop is ie- OEM or boxed?
edit* I have just been browsing through a pc mag and have found a place where if i buy hardware i can purchase xp pro oem for 1/2 normal retail, is this a way to get legit windows at a cheaper price?

Edited by pandammonia, 16 January 2007 - 09:17 AM.

#14 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:14 PM

Is there a way to find out what kind of version my desktop is ie- OEM or boxed?
edit* I have just been browsing through a pc mag and have found a place where if i buy hardware i can purchase xp pro oem for 1/2 normal retail, is this a way to get legit windows at a cheaper price?

It wouldn't be a bad idea if you don't have a physical disc for either of your computers.

To arcman,
You can activate a genuinely M$ Key on more than one machine. In fact, you can activate upto 99 machines on 1 cd key. I've done upto 5 machines in one day, using a single license key (for testing the hard drives on those machines). But on average, I use a cd key to activate more than one machine at a time.

M$ states it in their License Agreement that they have no way of telling how many machines the key is actually on. For that, I do believe them on it. The problem will occur if you activate that same key many times, anywhere upto 99 times.

My last activation failed on one of my computers (I have no idea of how many times I've used that same cd key), but I simply called them, and withing 5 - 10 minutes, they gave me an activation code to activate that computer. And to this day now, it still updates, whenever I do it. But I now have an unlimited machine XP Pro cd, so I don't have to worry about it any longer, although I never did anyway.

But, my point is that a cd key WILL work AND activate on more than one machine at a time, no matter what the text says. They just don't want people reselling the os, and profiting off of that. I can agree with that part, but single license or not, I just don't see me buying a license for every single machine I own, if I don't have an unlimited machine license usage.... which I do own now, when I bought my Dell from a person that went to the auction and bought a load of pc's. I told him this..... "I need a copy of that os cd"... and the rest is history.

On an ending note.... if you have a legitimate computer and os, no matter what your circumstances are, you can call M$ and get a new cd key. It's all in what you tell them..... and that is....... what they want to hear. It's quick, easy, simple, and very effective too.

#15 pandammonia

pandammonia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:29 PM

Walkman- Thanks heaps mate. Will try my old key in the meantime, and purchase that OEM pronto, I need a new HDD anyway. Thanks all.
Also have amother problem but its very unrelated so will start new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users