Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting A Game Question...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:34 PM

i want to delete a game from my hard drive since i dont play it much and i am running low on space and i will be getting a new (bigger) hard drive soon.

i wanna delete the game, but i would like to continue where i left off in the game when i install it again. is there a file in the game folder that stores your progress. i would like to be able to save just that file, then put it in the folder when i install the game again and pick up where i left off. anyone know? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:02 PM

Look in the game folder for folders possibly named:

saved_data
saved
data

or something similar..

You can also load the game, then save any part of it, then go back to the game folder, and find a list of files with similar names, but look for a file that has the date/time stamp that you saved the game on it. That's where your saved game files are located.

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:15 PM

Yea, you'll want to look for files like that.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that when you uninstall games, the game will be gone, but I usually see some files left behind and they're usually the game directory folder with saves still in them. Again, unless somebody confirms that, I'm not 100% sure on that.

*edit* also, some games prompt to delete saves when you uninstall them too.

Edited by Wizdabest, 15 January 2007 - 10:15 PM.

#4 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:46 PM

Yea, you'll want to look for files like that.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that when you uninstall games, the game will be gone, but I usually see some files left behind and they're usually the game directory folder with saves still in them. Again, unless somebody confirms that, I'm not 100% sure on that.

*edit* also, some games prompt to delete saves when you uninstall them too.

That's usually the case, but not always. make sure to pay attention to the dialogues when uninstalling.

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:58 PM

To Wizdabest,

Good one.. I didn't think of that. But that's true. Many games will ask you if you want to save your saved game files.

To RADIUM-V Interactive,

Very important step. I accidentally deleted all of a saved game before.. I believe it was one of the Hitman games.. Silent Assassin or Contracts.... by the time I realized it, it was too late.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users