Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Psu Adjustable Fan Speed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 majinbejitto

majinbejitto

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:01 PM

I have the Enermax eg495p 485W "Noisetaker" Power Supply. I'm just curious about the adjustable fan speed feature. Usually, when I play a game like Doom 3, the computer gets a little noisier, and the PSU seems to be the loudest. I've always kept it at the max because I don't want it to overheat or something without me noticing it. People say the PSU is supposed to be quiet.

Should I set the speed at the lowest? Will it automatically set itself at a higher speed if it's overheating?

P.S. I don't overclock.

EDIT: Ok, I just measured the exhaust fan's temp while running a game., and it was at 100 farenheit. Would it be a good idea to replace the CPU's fan with a newer one, as the PSU is supposed to intake the CPU's heat? My current CPU fan is the one that came with the Athlon64 3500+.

Edited by majinbejitto, 15 January 2007 - 08:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:10 AM

100 degrees F or 37 degrees C isn't too hot for that processor. Just keep the heatsink and fan clean from dust and you should be fine.

Fans are going to make noise, some more than others. You can either except the fact that you're going to hear the fan or try a different PSU, but I suspect you will still hear the fan. As for adjusting the fan speed, if it's keeping the PSU cool I'd leave it alone.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 majinbejitto

majinbejitto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:19 PM

100 degrees F or 37 degrees C isn't too hot for that processor. Just keep the heatsink and fan clean from dust and you should be fine.

I meant that the PSU's exhaust fan temp while running a game like counterstrike source is 100F/37C.

Fans are going to make noise, some more than others. You can either except the fact that you're going to hear the fan or try a different PSU, but I suspect you will still hear the fan. As for adjusting the fan speed, if it's keeping the PSU cool I'd leave it alone.

I'm thinking of buying the "Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro" to replace my CPU's stock fan/heatsink. Some people say it lowers the temp by like 5-12C, and is quieter than the CPU stock fan. But if the Arctic64Pro makes the CPU drop its temp lower, will the PSU also get quieter as it will exhaust less heat from the CPU?
Thanks for the reply btw.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

37C is good for PSU exhaust, especially with a high quality PSU like Enermax. You usually see something above 40C. You could decrease fan speed as long as the exhaust temp doesn't go above 50C.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users