Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Portable Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 buud

buud

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:50 PM

[size=5]i need more hard drive for pics and music can i get a portable H D to work as my built in H D. or would i do a better job installing a new and larger H D . what software do i need to either transfer data or make my old H D a slave. what would you do. keep in mind my wife uses the pc and she is more challenged than i am with programs. Dell dimension 4400 750 RAM ; 19 Gig HD thanks buud

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 woodharpy

woodharpy

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:45 PM

Why would you want the external hard drive to work as your built in HD? Couldn't you take all your music and pictures and run them off the external? Thats what i do and i just have it plugged in almost all the time so i can access my music, pictures and videos and all my programs and xp is installed on my internal HD.

CAUTION: Cape Does Not Enable User To Fly

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:57 AM

You should be able to install a second hdd inside the case. There is a jumper on the rear of the hdd that you use to change the hdd from master or cable select to slave, there will be a diagram on the hdd showing that configuration. The cable that your existing hdd is connected to should have another conncetor between it and the motherboard connector, this is where you want to connect the slave drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:30 PM

I'd agree with dc3 - install a 2nd hard drive as a slave. Then point your My Documents folder to it - the change should be transparent to your wife.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users