Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Concentration Problem.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jbmoisin

jbmoisin

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:48 PM

Do you guys have any problem concentrating on one thing you do?

I'm seriously having this problem nowadays. I can't concentrate on anything. And i do mean ANYTHING. Used to passed hours and hours on maths/physics problems , playstation and tv. Now, i can't even concentrate to sleep!

Used to be among the "top" student, and now i don't even think i'll pass my 3rd sem at university.

Here's why i say i have a concentration problem:

1- I can't study more than 15 mins w/o other things suddenly appear in my head. And if the question is hard, i'll say to myself "ah, let's skip this for now", and i'll never even bother to look at it again.

2- I can't keep my "skills" and "score" in tact when playing computer games. For example, my scores when playing pes6 ->3-1, 2-0 , 1-0, 0-0,0-1 , and after this, all are losses. The same for other games. I simply can't play more than an hour.

3- I have no interest in TV anymore. If i watch it, i'll wander off anyway. In a long movie, i'll do the same thing.

4- If i'm not that sleepy, and i need to sleep early, i can't get my head to stop thinking about things. All i need is to doze off, but i'll stay awake because i'm thinking about a lot of things too much.

I think this problem started 3-4 years ago when i finished my school and waiting for opportunities for my tertier education. At that time, i stopped studying and become seriously lazy in everything. At first lazy, then i really can't do anything i used to be able to.

Damn, i really need some advie to straight things right . If not, my entire life's doomed to misery...

Edited by jbmoisin, 15 January 2007 - 03:49 PM.

Posted Image
For the team from the Eternal City, 90 minutes at Old Trafford must have seemed an eternity indeed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:13 PM

The 1st thing I noticed, and that is, you're better than you think right now. I don't know how old you are, but you already made a step to help resolve your issue. It's takes a REAL person like you to come forward, and I commend you for it too.

We all go through periods of our lives when things seem to be not as good as they once were. But it all depends on how you look at it. You may be concerned about other life issues that you're not consciously aware of. It could be that you haven't been challenged enough in life (or recent years), and you may feel that you're at fault.

I'm not sure if drugs have anything to do with it or not, but it would be a good idea for you to go travel somewhere for some time. Get to meet new people. Maybe find a new mate. Another good thing to do is pray, and ask for guidance. Miracles do happen.

You may also be worrying about the wrong things, and in turn, it's effecting your ability to focus on your priorities. Take some time to decide what it is you want out of life, and make small steps at going towards it. You already have an education, and you're still educating yourself by being in school. You have a whole lot waiting for you.

Life can be complicated at times, but you seem to be strong enough to figure out what you should and need to do to get through this. I truly understand you on this.

Another good thing to do (if you don't do it) is to go to a church. It'll make the world of difference. You may even discover what it really is that's bothering you on the inside. Read your Bible, or whatever you may believe in. It won't hurt you all, infact, it may even help you in more ways than you can possibly think.

Things to consider:
a. Call some family members and friends and just talk to them.
b. Go visit someone out of state or just visit out of state
c. Get involved in some community service work
d. Get out and just walk around in the park or such
e. If you live around water (lakes, ocean, etc.) they are nice places to discover yourself.
f. If you're single, it won't hurt to meet someone and go out on a date
g. Hobbies... if you have any, get on them, and if you don't have any hobbies, find a few
h. If you're not working, go and seek some work. You'll meet people there too
i. If you have projects that you've been calling off for so long, now is the time to start tackling them again

j. If you ever need someone to talk to, you can pm me, and I'll give you my email address.
k. If you want to talk, I can call you and (or) you can call me.
l. If you need any help with anything, I'll do what I can to help you out. You have my word.

But I believe you're going through a small crises, which may fade away, but you've done the right thing by sharing it, because there are plenty of people, especially here at this site that will be more than willing to help their fellow man.

Just hang in there.... and you can always post here and let us know how you're doing and how you feel. We all want to know that you're doing ok, and everything is going fine in your life.

You're not alone in this. I'll be your friend if you need someone to talk to.

#3 jbmoisin

jbmoisin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:25 PM

Thanks walkman. That's the nicest reply i've ever had. :thumbsup:

Well, actually i'm a muslim. And you're guess is right, since the last 3-4 years, i've stopped being a good muslim. I still pray but i don't seem to pray like i always did. Just doing a ritual, not something i believe in anymore. Maybe that's my biggest mistake.

FYI, i'm actually someone who people come to talk to when they have problems. I like to help them with their problem by giving them solutions or just a shoulder to cry on. I guess that's why i always hesitate to talk to them when i have a problem because i don't want to be see as "weak", if you know what i mean. Plus i always know what they'll say in reply, because that's what i've been doing all these times. But i seriously don't know where i had this courage to ask such question in a forum like this.

Anyway, i'll try to do things you mentioned and will let you know the results. Hope i could change things before the 4th semester exams start so that i could get a hold of myself again and try to equalize the results of my 3rd sem.

Thanks again walkman. You are really a nice person. Your advice is much appreciated.
Posted Image
For the team from the Eternal City, 90 minutes at Old Trafford must have seemed an eternity indeed.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,204 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:11 PM

When I have a problem concentrating or sleeping it almost always is because I haven't taken care of something or dealt with a problem. Once done though, I feel a sense of peace and know that I will survive. Fear of failure or fear of the unknown can sometime be over whelming and I have learned in my many years the sooner I deal with a situation the sooner I can relax.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:15 PM

I'm glad to have given you that boost you needed.

And since you're still in school, now is the time to concentrate on your homework and your studies. Once you hit those books, and think about that degree you'll get when it's all said and done, you'll feel more motivated to continue on with a fresh new start.

Remember this: You have alot to live for and much to prosper from in life. Before you know it, you'll laugh back at this, and you'll say "I actually got through it".

As always, feel free to pm me if you ever need someone to talk to. I love to talk. :thumbsup:

#6 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:46 PM

And I hope you won't mind my niggling worry that perhaps a physical exam may be in order by your family physician? (Once a mother, always a mother - gentle smile).

I say this because something as 'simple' as low blood sugar or iron levels can affect concentration far more than most of us realize and once you know you're in great physical health, the suggestions made by Walkman and Buddy are wise indeed. They are lovely people and I am so very sure you are as well, jbmoisin. Gentle hugs and my sincere wishes for your peace within.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users