Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Mouse Trouble

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dazium

Dazium

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:32 PM

Yesterday night I received my Acer 180 DC, all was fine and dandy like it always is until I pressed the on button. The machine came to life, but stayed on the splash screen with the Acer logo, the one you get the chance enter BIOS (I think I got that right) and if you want to boot something else.

I got a bit worried, and thought I would take out my USB mouse from a slot, and put in the standard mouse into the PS/2 slot. The machine then started up fine with nothing wrong at all.

I then connected the USB mouse while the machine was on, it recognised it and I could use the mouse fine. I thought this was great, until I started up today, and now it just did not budge off the splash screen again. So I connected the PS/2 mouse in again and it was fine.

I went into the BIOS? (pressing 12, blue menu thingy) and seen an option that said "USB mouse support [enabled]. Out of curiosity, I disabled it, and started up, the machine started up with the USB mouse connected, but I could not use the mouse at all when it started up.

I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem, and if so, have you managed to fix it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Daz.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:38 PM

Did your mouse come with any drivers of any kind or anything of the sort, because if it recognizes it when its installed and USB support is enabled but its not starting up, its probably something to do with the mouse inadvertantly causing your startup to freeze (obviously)

while I don't know the fix I myself owuld like to see if someone has experienced this issue

#3 Dazium

Dazium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for the quick response.

The mouse (Logitech G5) came with a CD, but it was just a program to configer the mouses sensitivity, I have installed that with no avial.

#4 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:28 PM

Google Has failed me once again :thumbsup: haha

I did a search on keywords wiht your problem and I came up with someone having the same issue however it was never resolved,

The suggested course of action is to uninstall all setpoint programs and reinstall AND update them right away

this I would do with the PS2 Mouse plugged in then Id try to plug the G5 back in and restart see what hapepns

if it still freezes the other course of action recommended is to get a USB/PS2 Adapter and run it through the PS2 Port, As it maybe a problem with your USB port

Ensure that you reenable the BIOS selection to allow USB mice, and reinstall the software as I suggested
if that doesnt' work

my only other suggestion apart from the Adapter is that you reinstall your firewire USB ports, Now, that is a trick in itself as Im not sure if you built your computer yourself or not, if you have you may find the USB software with your motherboard CD if you haven't, Then Ill be doing hours of reading if I can even find a way to do it
:flowers:

#5 Dazium

Dazium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:36 PM

I tried all your suggestions with no luck :thumbsup:, all I got was the machine actually working with the adapter, but the mouse was not working, there was no lights on on the mouse.

Im not sure how I would go about reinstalling USB software :S

I never build it, I bought it yesterday from my local shop.

Edited by Dazium, 15 January 2007 - 03:38 PM.

#6 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:50 PM

your computer was built by a shop? Go back and inquire to them how to do it if so, See if there was any drivers with the motherboard or whatnot, and if hter ewas how to go about doing it

#7 Dazium

Dazium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:57 PM

Its a factory build machine from Acer - T180. I sent a enquiry to Acer a few minutes ago. If that doesnt solve my problems, im getting a refund, not bothered what they say ;). I will let you know as soon as I hear from Acer.

#8 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:20 PM

Ew vista I shudder at the thought of getting it..haha

good system though see what they say

#9 Dazium

Dazium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:22 PM

I still have XP on it at the moment, waiting for my premium version haha.

Thanks for the help mate so far :D

#10 Dazium

Dazium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:41 AM

Yaay, got this sorted out, turns out to be the mices' problem. I borrowed a friends today and it works like it should, to the bucket with yet another Logitech product....

Thanks again for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users