Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

End Program Error And Memory Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 j joy j

j joy j

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:15 PM

Many times when I do a shut-down I will get an error or window that pops up stating a certain program can not shut down or is not responding. It is not a name that I am familiar with at all. How do I go about finding that file/program to see what is going on? It's called ShellIcon (something like that).

Also...

I have a Dell Notebook Inspiron 6000 that says it has 1.5 GB or RAM. I installed an additional card (memory card into it after I got it). Is there a way to see that? Is there somewhere where it shows how much memory it had/has/and that it was installed?

I bought my laptop prior to getting married so it is registered under my maiden name. Is there a way to change that info? So all my programs or folders reflect my married name?

Thanks,
Joy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

While searching for the issue, I first found a webpage that had someone with your exact problem... It Is Here

In that post is a link to (one of) the supposed solutions to the shelliconhiddenfile or whatever its called

its found Here

Chances are you have that same program and unisntalling reinstallling it may help, If you do not have that program and those instructions do not help, Ill have to do some further digging..

How much RAM did you have prior to install is it 1.5 prior? If so how much more did you put in, if you put too much in, which isn't a problem , THen windows may actually just recognize 1.5 gigs while the rest is there, But invisible...

I know usasma has stated multiple times he has 4 gigs in his system and it only actually identifies 3.25 of it or something around there so it may just be there, But windows doesnt' recognize that much

Redoing your name Im not sure how to do that, I know that its probably under the control panel system function but Im not 100% so Ill let someone else answer that

as far as how much memory windows says it has, You can find that by going Start Control panel, System and under general tab it should say "COMPUTER:" and it will say how much ram it sees, And how fast your processor is etc..

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:37 PM

RAM memory: goto My Computer/view system information/general (it's under system tasks); you can find the RAM information on that panel.

If you want to find the application that is not responding, you would need to know the exact name. You can Ctrl-Alt-Del and then look under Processes or under Applications in the Task Manager; the latter would show you which are still running, and you could then manually kill it.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users