Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting other copy of XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gedalneil

Gedalneil

Grand Fleegle

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 01 January 2005 - 11:29 AM

I recently had a corrupt version of XP on my system. So, I installed the new one in another directory (just to be safe). The new one works perfectly, fingers crossed, but I still have the old one on the system.

When I boot up it asks me which XP I would like to run.

How do I get rid of the old one, if I do not know which directory the old one is in?

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 P3-450

P3-450

Malware Destroyer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 01 January 2005 - 02:30 PM

Hi, do you have more than one partition?

Can you launch windows explorer and look in the C:\ drive for a file called Boot.ini (this is a hidden file so you will have to go into Tool-Folder Options-View tab and show hidden files and folder. Also untick Hide protected system files)

Open it up in Notepad and copy and paste the content here.
Posted Image
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. -Sir Winston Churchill

#3 Gedalneil

Gedalneil

Grand Fleegle

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 01 January 2005 - 03:55 PM

Thank you very much. Is this what you are looking for?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINXP
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users