Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sfc /scannow Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:25 AM

Well it's my turn to ask for a bit of help. I have a lot of stuff coming and going on my pc so I run sfc /scannow every month just to make sure everything is ok. But today I got a meesage up that said........

WINDOWS FILE PROTECTION
Files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache.
Insert your copy of XP Pro CD now.

So when I put the cd in it will look at it for a breif moment (cd rom light comes on) and put up the same message as above although this is my only XP cd.
Although Im not having any probs with XP I just want to know why this meesage pops up and it will not let me run sfc /scannow.
MCP
MSDST

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:56 AM

This can be caused by how your computer security policy is set. Check this article for some information.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:53 AM

Thanks Budapest (all help is very greatfull) but that applies to win server only, I had a look and it is set to disable so still no luck. Have tried logging in as admin only but made no difference.......so Im still stuck on this one.
MCP
MSDST

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:14 AM

SFC scans all the protected files on your HD to make sure that they have not been corrupted or modified by programs that have been installed. So it seems that something has been corrupted or modified on your HD and SFC is trying to restore it.

The fact that it can't seem to find the file on the CD may be due to your disk not being a SP2 disk. You could try creating a slipstreamed SP2 disk and using that when running SFC.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Monty007

Monty007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:24 AM

SFC scans all the protected files on your HD to make sure that they have not been corrupted or modified by programs that have been installed. So it seems that something has been corrupted or modified on your HD and SFC is trying to restore it.

So true, the xp pro disk Im have is sp2 , no doubt.
MCP
MSDST

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:24 AM

After some digging around on the internet I found this:

Has the CD Drive's drive letter changed (perhaps by the addition of another hard drive, partition, or removable drive) since Windows XP was first installed? If so, simply edit the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePath to reflect the changed drive letter.

If this does not work then I'm fresh out of ideas.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:20 AM

The second post at this link describes some registry edits to help SFC.EXE run properly: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Just to confirm - SFC.EXE worked fine for you until recently? If this is the case, something has changed the path where the CD is recognized (in the registry) - which goes along with Budapest's last post.

Should that not work, then your best alternative would be a repair install of XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users