Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Output In Widescreen?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 woodharpy

woodharpy

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:20 AM

I have a 23" widescreen monitor and my computer has 64 shared memory for a graphics card i was wondering how/if it could produce a widescreen resolution.

CAUTION: Cape Does Not Enable User To Fly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:40 AM

That will depend on the video at hand.

What I mean is that if the video you're watching is a widescreen video, then it'll come out in widescreen.

If the video is full screen 4:3 ratio, then viewing it in wide screen is possible, but your picture may not format correctly on the screen. But some monitors, software will allow you to view 4:3 ratio formats in widescreen, but I never had good results doing such. As a matter of fact, switching full screen to widescreen will cause you to "chop" off parts of the picture on the top and bottom sides of the video.

Remember this: not all movies/videos are formatted for widescreen, so playing a movie that's not already in widescreen into widescreen will most likely give you an unpleasant movie.

Ohhh. I almost forgot...... a 13", a 2.5" monitor will produce a widescreen, if the movie is in widescreen.

Edited by Walkman, 15 January 2007 - 02:42 AM.

#3 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:53 AM

I'm not exactly sure what your talking about right now my computer is outputting 1024x768 is that what you need?

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:04 AM

I'm not exactly sure what your talking about right now my computer is outputting 1024x768 is that what you need?

Your resolution is fine.

800 x 600 resolution will produce a widscreen format.

Also, your screen resolution does not determine if a movie will be in widescreen or not. The resolution will only make what you're looking at sharper (if using high resolutions).

But the resolution you are set at is fine enough to watch a widscreen format video. If you set your monitor to 600 x 600 (if it'll let you), the movie will still be in widescreen, except it will be a bigger picture on the screen.

I have different monitor sizes and different computers, and if I load any movie on either one, they all come out the same way, except for the size of the movie... and that's because of the size of the monitor.

#5 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:47 AM

OK the only reason i was asking is because like pictures i noticed looked a little stretched out compared to my old monitor but its not HORRIBLE and once i get used to it i can't even tell so thanks for your help.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:54 AM

I think what you need to do is to change your display setting so that the display aspect ratio matches the aspect ratio of your monitor.

The aspect ratio is the ratio of the width compared to the height. A traditional tv screen has an aspect ratio of 1.33. That is the width/height = 1.33.

Now you say you have a widescreen monitor. You need to find out what the aspect ratio of your monitor is. I'm guessing it will be approximately 1.8.

Once you find out what the aspect ratio of the monitor is then you need to set your display to one with the same aspect ratio. Currently you're using 1024x768. This is an aspect ratio of 1024/768=1.33. Your monitor aspect ratio does not match your display aspect ratio: this is why your pictures look "stretched."
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:04 PM

how would i find out the aspect ratio?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:12 PM

Have a look in the manual that the monitor came with (or on the box). It should give you the size of the screen. For example, if the screen is 80cm wide by 45cm high then the aspect ratio will be 80/45=1.78. If you don't have the manual or anything then get yourself a tape measure and measure the size of the screen.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

i couldn't find it in the book so i measured and got 49 by 28 (but i might be off by a little bit) 1.75

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:43 AM

Okay. Now you need to change your display setting to something that matches this aspect ratio. Something like 1280x720 should do the trick.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:31 AM

How would i change my display setting to that setting?

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:53 AM

Have a look at this article, which describes how to change the screen resolution. If you can't find a screen resolution that suits you by doing this post back what type of video card you have.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:56 AM

No sorry i needed to be more clear I tried that and none of those resolutions will work properly and i don't have a graphics card all i have is 64 shared memory although i do plan to upgrade soon.

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:06 AM

What type of computer do you have? Please give the make and model number, e.g. Dell E520. And any other information about the computer you have.

Also:

Click Start.
On the Start menu, click Run.
In the Open box, type "dxdiag" (without the quotation marks) , and then click OK.
The DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens. Click the Display tab.
Post the information given.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:27 AM

My computer is a hp pavilion a706n.

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP
Manufacturer: VIA/S3G
Chip type: VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_7205&SUBSYS_81181043&REV_01
Display Memory: 64.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: LT23HVX
Monitor Max Res: 1280,768
Driver Name: vtdisp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.0194 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/7/2004 20:08:48, 3448192 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: vtmini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 12/7/2004 20:08:58, 172672 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71FE6-3145-11CF-3173-12A1A0C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x1106
Device ID: 0x7205
SubSys ID: 0x81181043