Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Paint Balls And Training Soldiers ...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:52 PM

Perhaps most of you are already aware of this type of training for soldiers but it was new to me when I read it this evening:

Most people see a day at the paintball range as a bit of recreational fun, but for Canadian troops it's a deadly serious tool to prepare them to fight Taliban insurgents in war-torn Afghanistan.

The rest of the article is at http://www.mytelus.com/news/article.do?pag...ticleID=2513701

Makes great sense to me as anything that can help increase the chances of bringing soldiers home alive and well is terrific.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:41 AM

I think it's a great idea! Like the man said, now they know if they've been hit or hit the target they were aiming at. And if they get hit, they can learn from it and not die.

edit: I forgot 1 little word...

Edited by Wildabeast, 15 January 2007 - 07:32 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:04 AM

I think it's a great idea! Like the man said, now they know if they've been hit or hit the target they were aiming at. And if they get hit, they can learn from it and die.

:thumbsup:

It is a great idea though.

"If we use blanks, if I fire at the target, you won't know if I hit it," Kouri said. "If the enemy or somebody that's there is firing at me with blanks, we won't know if they hit me.

"But with the paint balls, it's more realistic. You get more of a feel for it because you can see where you're shooting and you can see if you get shot."

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#4 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:39 PM

Come to think about it ...

Wonder if having paint ball games for high school kids as part of the PE would be great? After all, lots of exercise involved and I bet it would help with some of the aggression that a lot of kids have, too?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:29 PM

Actually Great for troops not a good idea for schools. They hurt a lot..

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:00 PM

I can tell you guys, I am a member of the Canadian Forces Reserves and I have trained with paintballs. By the way it's not your regular paintball either. We actually take our C-7, basically the same thing as the M-16 with a few modification, and just change the ammo... They sting a F*** load more then the regular paintball... and their is no way in hell to fake that you haven't been shot :thumbsup: Also once you get hit for the first time you work 10 times as hard not to get shot again :flowers:

I like the idea of paintball in high school... It is alot of cardio when playing speedball and you can use reballs (rubber balls) to play inside a gym so don't even really need a special field of anything.

#7 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:37 PM

Wow, I looked at the kid with the welts all over him at the link you provided, boopme - and ouch! Had no idea that these were so powerful! The one and only time I participated was about 15 years ago and getting hit 'smarted' at times, but nothing like that! Eep! Will take back my suggestion they be used for kids in school unless they can find a soft squishy paint ball version - or as Klinkaroo mentioned, use reballs.

When I read what is used in place of the regular paint balls, Klinkaroo, when training - well, can only begin to imagine how intensely it must hurt to be hit during training and can sure understand why all of you would "work 10 times as hard not to be hit again". (Please tell me you wear helmuts so you don't get hit in the face!!).

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:44 PM

Yes helmets and full face shields, well we wear our full combat uniform... :thumbsup:

#9 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:16 PM

Relieved to know you were both helmuts and face shield! :thumbsup:

Although perhaps slightly off-topic (but after seeing the welts on that boy's chest - eep!), is each soldier supplied with a 'bullet proof' vest when they are actually in active service?

#10 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:23 PM

I personally don't have it issued to me... but I am reserve and Navy...

Both my parents we're regular force, Air Force and not combat arms so I don't know... but I think in general no... If they are issued out I think it's only to the combat arms (Infantry, Artilery, Armoured Soldiers, Signal Operators ect...)

#11 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

I expect one of our Moderators shall shift this into a different section soon - and I'd completely understand as I know I'm heading off from the topic of 'paint balls for soldiers', and do apologise.

But I asked, Klinkaroo, about the vests because while knowing one can't believe everything we hear or read, I've been concerned over stories such as the one contained at the below link. Stories about soldiers having to fight without proper equipment, etc. While I loathe the thought of war, any war, the tida that the brave people fighting it without every safeguard possible available to them makes me incredibly sad - gentle sigh.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2003/10/03/iltis031003.html

http://www.alternet.org/asoldierspeaks/20322/

Edited by MaraM, 16 January 2007 - 06:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users